2000 grit wet sand and compound

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

badgx

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes e55
Had a spare moment, so decided to detail the plastic lens using 2000 grit wet & dry paper and then compound followed by polish. It came out really good and pleased with the result 🙂

20220210_133515.jpg20220210_135301.jpg20220210_141428.jpg20220210_145025.jpg

Good job.
I’d have been very wary of taking wet and dry to my headlights , but that has turned out really nice 👍

Also helps if you use some soap on the last sanding, with the finest grit.

I used very minimal material, as the lens just needed light refreshing. I used 2000 grit wrapped around a sandpaper block by hand and had a spray bottle with a little dishwashing liquid to get the wet sanding paper moving and unclogged. I then used a rotary polisher at speed setting 1-2 and compound of your choice. I use Farecela g3 compound and let the machine do the work, making sure to keep moving and checking progress. The haze disappears in no time leaving a new look. Great to have a few microfiber cloths too to wipe and check progress 🙂

Did you finish with a coating (wax/polish or ceramic coating) when done?

Yep, it's ceramic coated with Armor Shield but one can use sealants instead, which will do the job just fine 😉20210301_134031.jpg

Nice

How long will that last?

They say to use a ph neutral screen wash to stop it stripping coatings away early (causes cloudy effect)

Had a spare moment, so decided to detail the plastic lens using 2000 grit wet & dry paper and then compound followed by polish. It came out really good and pleased with the result 🙂

View attachment 123724View attachment 123725View attachment 123726View attachment 123727
Top job mate, well done.

Great to see your car up close last weekend too.

Can’t say I’ve seen many of the E63 wagons.
Actually, can’t remember seeing one in person at all! 🤔

Top job mate, well done.

Great to see your car up close last weekend too.

Can’t say I’ve seen many of the E63 wagons.
Actually, can’t remember seeing one in person at all! 🤔
Cheers buddy, it was a pleasure to meet you, i gained some valuable insights and tips 👍. Hope to see your clk63 at the next meet.

Once you have done it once you will need to do it a lot more regularly (every few months) unless you coat it in something like below as you have just polished off all the UV protection coating that kept it clear this long.

I used very minimal material, as the lens just needed light refreshing. I used 2000 grit wrapped around a sandpaper block by hand and had a spray bottle with a little dishwashing liquid to get the wet sanding paper moving and unclogged. I then used a rotary polisher at speed setting 1-2 and compound of your choice. I use Farecela g3 compound and let the machine do the work, making sure to keep moving and checking progress. The haze disappears in no time leaving a new look. Great to have a few microfiber cloths too to wipe and check progress 🙂
It's good to know that result is achievable using the products you did.

I have used 'autoglym headlight restoration complete kit' before. Will post some pictures if can find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom