2000 S600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mercedeschris

Car
2008 C220 CDi 2005 SL350
I am thinking of buying a 2000 S600 of a friend of mine. It has a bad misfire and failed it's MOT. I am probably buying this car with my heart rather than y head! But I absolutely love the car, it's fully loaded (so loads to go wrong) LOL. Anyone had any experiences with misfire issues on these OM137 engines?

I am thinking of buying a 2000 S600 of a friend of mine. It has a bad misfire and failed it's MOT. I am probably buying this car with my heart rather than y head! But I absolutely love the car, it's fully loaded (so loads to go wrong) LOL. Anyone had any experiences with misfire issues on these OM137 engines?
Congratulations on your decision. Be prepared for a hefty invoice of parts and labor. If you fix it right, and service and address upcoming issues on time, you should have a winning experience.

Wait a few hours, expert members will help you with this misfire issue.

I made a similar mistake with a Japanese import, back in 2014, and it costed me 3 times what I paid for the car. And eventually I sold it for the original price 2 years ago. I convinced myself to keep it for 6 years. In all its duration I must have put 25K KM on the odometer.

Something of a gamble there Chris, to say the least. Hope you have a good few £K stashed away for future work. Without proper diagnosis pure guess work on the misfire. I'll start the potentially long list with the possibility of a failed coilpack. Costly to replace.

Congratulations on your decision. Be prepared for a hefty invoice of parts and labor. If you fix it right, and service and address upcoming issues on time, you should have a winning experience.

Wait a few hours, expert members will help you with this misfire issue.

I made a similar mistake with a Japanese import, back in 2014, and it costed me 3 times what I paid for the car. And eventually I sold it for the original price 2 years ago. I convinced myself to keep it for 6 years. In all its duration I must have put 25K KM on the odometer
Something of a gamble there Chris, to say the least. Hope you have a good few £K stashed away for future work. Without proper diagnosis pure guess work on the misfire. I'll start the potentially long list with the possibility of a failed coilpack. Costly to replace.
3rd party packs will be cheaper.

Could be very simple issues, depending on how expert your friend is. If he's a driver rather than a car nerd, he won't have investigated the basics. If he's spent £5k or £10k on it and now given up, then stand clear.

Misfires can come from simple issues: dirty fuel, coked up bits, poor cables, the legendary coil packs, and so on.

The best place to start is to ask a recommended MB independent, not the bloke at the end of your street, to have a quick look with his STAR or equivalent code reader. He'll be able to size it up for you.

Just be very aware that a 2000 S class is worth less than a bag of peanuts, so you really don't want to be spending much money on buying and then fixing it.

An early Noughties V8 S500 will be a lot cheaper to buy and maintain, and there are some lovely cars around.

Could be very simple issues, depending on how expert your friend is. If he's a driver rather than a car nerd, he won't have investigated the basics. If he's spent £5k or £10k on it and now given up, then stand clear.

Misfires can come from simple issues: dirty fuel, coked up bits, poor cables, the legendary coil packs, and so on.

The best place to start is to ask a recommended MB independent, not the bloke at the end of your street, to have a quick look with his STAR or equivalent code reader. He'll be able to size it up for you.

Just be very aware that a 2000 S class is worth less than a bag of peanuts, so you really don't want to be spending much money on buying and then fixing it.

An early Noughties V8 S500 will be a lot cheaper to buy and maintain, and there are some lovely cars around.
You're correct with the S500 durability. This S class was a failed release. But then again if fixed right it should last a few pleasurable years. This is more of a sentiment car than anything else. It's neither a collectible nor a wallet friendly venture.

What kind of mileage / servicing & ownership pattern?

Have you priced it against other S600's and S500's out there?

Interestingly I have just spoken to my MB master tech and told him that I intended to by the S600.....he fell of his chair laughing!
He said it will almost certainly need a coil pack which he says are almost £1000 !! And running one costs the equivalent of the GDP of a small country.
On a more positive note I hadn't realised the car's only had one previous owner and only done 53k. It's a mega spec I've just been on WIS data card.
It needs front wings corroded in usual W220 area. I can see me "taking a rain check" on it.
I've got 3 MBs already and GF is going mad.....

Thats a very good idea, before I agree to buy it, I know a MB master tech who can run a Star test on it.
This is not the only idea. Any parts that have not failed in 22 years, will fail eventually. As stated by Wimbledon and 57, you need to have a reserve of 10K to 15K for future bills. This is a sure money pit.

A low mileage S500 or S350 will give you 90% of the pleasure for much less than half the cost of maintaining an S600.

Especially if you can find one that has been garaged for most of its life.

(Did the Master Tech mention that replacing the plugs on a V12 costs almost as much as the coil pack?)

Last edited:
money-pit.jpg

Interestingly I have just spoken to my MB master tech and told him that I intended to by the S600.....he fell of his chair laughing!
He said it will almost certainly need a coil pack which he says are almost £1000 !! And running one costs the equivalent of the GDP of a small country.
On a more positive note I hadn't realised the car's only had one previous owner and only done 53k. It's a mega spec I've just been on WIS data card.
It needs front wings corroded in usual W220 area. I can see me "taking a rain check" on it.
I've got 3 MBs already and GF is going mad.....
MB's coil packs are £1600 each by the way. Don't ask me how I know.

MB's coil packs are £1600 each by the way. Don't ask me how I know.
And remanufactured coil packs "maybe" just over half of that, but you need to be dealing with an Indy who knows a reliable supplier and who's prepared to swop your old ones for refurbished kit.

But hey, that's only the start. Then there's the labour, and the plugs, and the .... and the....

But they are lovely cars. Fantastic cars that will end up in museums. After a lot of money's been spent on them.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom