2000 W210 E280 Avantgarde- oil leak?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ontheball247

Car
W208 CLK430 / W210 E320 CDi
Hi guys, noticed an oil leak yesterday, which is engine oil, far as i can tell.
It's a small leak. The oil looks like engine oil and the engine oil level has slightly dropped.
Thing is, the driver side (uk) of the radiator, where there seem to be cooler pipes is oily and the tray underneath is where the oil is accumulating and making its way back towards the removable panel which you remove to get to the sump.
Any ideas on this? Will have a better look from under the car in the morning, but from people's knowledge/experience, what places should i check for the leak, and what would my options be? (please bare in mind, first priority is to fix it myself- my cars only go to someone else after ive lost blood trying to fix the issue/s, and still not succeeded :D).
Thanks,
Baz.

Last edited:
on the ball, this is a leaking gearbox cooler pipe, the engine ool cooler and pipes are on the nearside. Teh gearbox cooler pipes fail at the bottom of the radiator one of mine did. the cooler is inside the radiator. To fix it is a radiator out job. the rad comes out leaving the condenser in place. Start by removing teh fan, drain rad, remove top x member above rad. disconnect and plug gearbox oil cooler pipe at flexi unions beneath rad behind lower x member. I is a hard work job but nothing too bad. when rad is out remove teh two pipes and replace, cost of pipes from dealer one 30 the other 16 pds. Heaven know what the dealer cost of the labour would be, Good luck afterward check GB oil. by the time you have finished you will know the front quite well.

Thanks for that mate. But it seems a little different to that. Since the pipes i mentioned are along the side of the rad (offside).
I undid the nut of the top pipe, applied some PTFE tape and re-tightened it, and it's been ok since.
I know it's a bit of a ghetto fix, but if i see anything leaking around there again, i'll just replace the pipes, as you advised.
Thanks again,
Baz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom