2000 w210 E320 cdi Transmission slipping Problem help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ab18715

Car
E320 Cdi
Hi,
Can anyone help me with this problem. I have a 2000 E320 cdi which has developed the slipping gear problem.

Symptom: Started slipping and going into second gear i think. would reset when switched off and back on again. Got worse over a couple days. Now it will
hardly move. If you start it will engage into gear after 10 seconds but if you give it any acceleration it only revs and not passed 2000 rpm. No lights on.
Does not clunck into gear it is very smooth and always has been. No noises.
I had a friend read codes with the star reader.

P2500
P2502
P220A

History of car: Had transmission problem before i got it and had the electro plate, sensors, sleeve plug changed by JP Automotive over one year ago.
I confirmed this with them. I've had the car since December running great and so smooth.

What i've done to try and fix:

1. Checked transmission plug and found it clean free from ATF. Connector looked clean too. Expected this as it was changed just over a year ago.
2. Checked Transmission control module and found it full of ATF. Cleaned out and still same problem. Found capacitor blown so picked up another second hand unit but still same problem. Oil must have been sitting in their for over a year before new connector sleeve fitted..
3. Cleaned Transmission connector under bonnnet and looked clean now.
4. Checked MAF and confirmed okay.
5. Bought a ATF dip stick and have found too much transmission fluid but getting this double checked with a Mercedes dip stick. think this would not cause this problem though.
6. Battery voltage is fine.

Any help appreciated as i'm getting ready to pass this on to Mercedes and i know that will cost me a fortune..

What i'm wondering now:

1. Changing the Transmission control module? Do i need the codes cleared or would it work better straight away? Tried leaving the car overnight with the battery disconnected and holding down accelerator at position 1 etc.

2. Could this be the solenoid's on the electro plate?

3. Is it possible its the torque convector? I thought it would have thrown up another code..

4. Could my cable harness have that much oil trapped that would really cause it to slip gear?

Thanks
Alex

1. Your TCU could be be goosed, sorry cannot confirm.
2. If you leaked so much ATF, how was the level too high? It must have been waaay over filled in the first place.
3. Too much or too less oil can cause the slipping issues, it needs to be spot on at the right temp.
4. Disconecting the battery won't clear the codes, get a cheap cpde reader if needs be that will read the TCU.
5. I guess you mean torque converter and not convector, and I think it is unlikely the cause.
6. It is sticking in gear to protect the gearbox by going into limp mode
7. You will not get any warning lights on the dash.

Where are you based? You may have a good indie near you

Thanks for your comments.

1. I've got another two TCU's but trying these does'nt make a difference. Unless you need to clear the codes with a reader. I'm going to get them cleared tomorrow so will see if that works.
2. I think the ATF in the TCU was prior to the last owner having a new electro plate, plug, gasket and new ATF etc fitted over a year ago. I think its been sitting in there since then because when i checked the plug on the transmission it was knew looking and clean/dry. Maybe they didnt know about the wicking up the cable and did not check the TCU at that time. From the receipt i can see they bought 9 lts so maybe they added to much at that time, rather than measure what they removed and add back the same.
I'm getting this level double checked in the morning. Its good to hear that to much might cause problems other than blowing a seal etc.
6. At first when it happen (slipped/Rev'd as it changed down gear) felt like it was stuck in first or second to protect to drive home, but after driving it a few more times it now takes 10 seconds or so to start to move forward or reverse (without any acceleration) and moves very slow. You can build up a little speed by pressing acceleration softley but too much and it revs like being in N. Also if you start and try to move with acceleration it just revs. I think when it gets going it stick in first. I had to stop getting home and restart a couple of times just to get her moving again. It felt like it would go down hill, on a straight but would slip if going up hill.

I'm in Whitburn West Lothian, Scotland

Make sure the TCU's are the same number. Get the level checked at 80 degrees centigrade. It is wise to clear the faults anyway as you may have more stored in the other TCUs

will do.
The original on the car was
A0255450532
EGS51

I have one the same and another A0305452332 EGS52 which is the latest part number.
the parts guy at Mercedes told me that both will work. If i ordered a new one it would be this number i got. there was also one in between he said would also work A0305452032.

I'll run the car for 30 minutes or so and get the temp up then check.
I'm sure its got too much ATF but what i cant understand is how its run so smooth since December with too much! I would have expected a seal to go rather than it result in the problem im having. Still i need to get this to the correct level once confirmed tomorrow.
I will let you know how i get on.

Alex

still no luck getting to the bottom of this.

Checked the ATF level and there was too much in their. I took out half a litre to get it spot on. Changed the ETC to the latest part number, had the codes cleared then took it out but it would only go round the corner then started to slip. Got it back in the garage and read the codes. P2502 showed.

Changed the ETC to same part number as original and did the same as above. Came back to code 147.

Put the newest ETC back on but the car will not engage gear now. Only gear i can get is reverse if the car is cold but it takes about 10 seconds to move after i engage. it slips if i give it any revs.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom