2000 W210 Estate Rear Seat Release Handle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
I have a sticking rear seat backrest release, ie it is stuck in the upright position and I cannot fold the '40' side [of the 40/60 split] backrest. Normally something I can live with, however I just failed an MOT because of a nicked NS rear seatbelt, and you need to lower the backrest to remove and refit the seatbelt. Here is the problem - the boot load cover unit is fixed to the back of the '60' backrest, and it will not fold down past the '40' side, nor can the load cover be removed with the backrest up. Aaaaargh!

Anyway I've had a frustrating morning with Olly at PCS because we could not fathom a way to solve it in the very short term to pass the MOT wihout either

1. Ripping out old belt so there is no belt to fail
2. Try and darn a repair to the offending seatbelt [see poor picture attached] - not Olly's idea
3. Carefully ripping apart, sorry 'dismantling' the '40' backrest to get to the jammed release

Full marks to Olly for persevering, but do anyone of you good people have any suggestions? I suspect my option will be to get hold of a second hand seat back and have it in reserve for the inevitable careful removal exercise.

Thankyou

Sean

Last edited:
fit a fixed-child seat to the belt and get it re-MOTd by someone else.... ;)

belts fitted with child seats attached cannot and are not checked on an MOT!

I think unstiching the leather will be the best option so far.

It is a tricky one.

fit a fixed-child seat to the belt and get it re-MOTd by someone else.... ;)

belts fitted with child seats attached cannot and are not checked on an MOT!
As MOTs are now electronic, surely any other MOT station would get the 'fail' information up as soon as they entered the chassis number?

Thanks Dieselman - I got the parts schematic from the kind people at Purslow, but it doesn't quite make sense to me and I suspect this is beyond my meagre capabilities. I need to speak to Olly again....

As MOTs are now electronic, surely any other MOT station would get the 'fail' information up as soon as they entered the chassis number?

possibly. But if the child seat is in then it could be assumed its been fixed.... they have to take the car as it stands dont they?

i'm only suggesting this by the way as a quick route to getting the car back on the road, for what is a minor issue. I'd still recommend the seatbelt be replaced though at some point.

Point taken - I have the new belt and have to face up to its replacement soon, more pressing issue id obviously the MOT.

Will give it a go again soon and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom