2001: A Space Odyssey. Free to view on BBC Iplayer. Brilliant.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
On BBC Iplayer:
BBC iPlayer - 2001: A Space Odyssey

Brilliant. Must see.
Probably Not Suitable For Girls, but fascinating to watch this 50 year old seminal "insight into our future."

"Hey Siri, do this....." "I'm sorry,,... I can't do that...MikeInWimbledon"

1781c7c6-e31f-4aff-a762-8a69fec24058.jpg

Wow - what a movie - I remember seeing it as a youngster and being quite afraid of Hal. The movie also made good use of classical music.

Every time I watch this I'm amazed by how far ahead of it time it was. Outstanding for a film released in 1968

remember, this is mostly an oldgezzers forum, with oldgezzers outdated generalizations :)

Seriously? My Daughter’s a pukka proper Physicist and even she would agree that men would be more interested than most women. (Her friends would, obviously, but she looks at the stars for fun).

And how many women are on this site? As many as one in five? Unlikely.

Generalise about reality. Social Engineering is a different ambition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funnily enough my 13 year old daughter is a keen budding scientist looking now to do some sort of career in atomic chemistry.

She's a clever lass and quite determined. I am looking forward to helping her get there although I don't know the first thing about it.

Excellent. I was asked last week how to get to the Royal Opera House. The answer was easy: “Work hard.”

The answer for Chemistry is to take Maths, Physics and Chemistry really seriously because she’ll need the rigour of all three. Perfect Maths, Add Maths and Chemistry A levels will get her in.

Sadly, in the British system the arts and languages don’t help, although Music might be useful.

Chemistry teachers are desperate to find enthusiasts who are prepared to do the hours. The problem is that most wannabe Scientists aren’t prepared to put in the time. Science teachers, unlike the Arts, aren’t prepared to nod mediocre students through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes she loves science and will move to the three seperate sciences for GCSE. Her teachers also think she has great potential in the subjects which is good.

She is yr 8 now so next year we choose options. As much as she needs to do the "hard" subjects I'm encouraging her to stick with Drama as she loves that too and it will be a good counterpoint to all the maths and sciences.

She has to choose though between Geography and History, she likes both and is torn.

It's not like it was in my day when you just did whatever you were told. :D

Seriously? My Daughter’s a pukka proper Physicist and even she would agree that men would be more interested than most women. (Her friends would, obviously, but she looks at the stars for fun).

And how many women are on this site? As many as one in five? Unlikely.

Generalise about reality. Social Engineering is a different ambition.
No doubt that sci-fi appeals to fellas a lot more than girls (Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Marvel etc would have a bigger male following than female). Not unlike the fact that I guess this forum's gender make up is stronly weighted towards male. But I wouldn't say that the forum is probably not suitable for women. To me, "probably not suitable", implies it's something they should not be watching, in the same vein as "probably not suitable for young children"

Must make (another) effort to watch it I guess. Haven't so far got past the guys dressed as apes before my boredom limit has been exceeded...

My wife thinks 2001 is a brilliant film too. The sheer quality of the thing for 1968 should be enough for anyone without worrying too much over the story line. One of the most refreshing things that differentiates it from most modern scifi is that it's not a shoot em up film.

My wife thinks 2001 is a brilliant film too. The sheer quality of the thing for 1968 should be enough for anyone without worrying too much over the story line. One of the most refreshing things that differentiates it from most modern scifi is that it's not a shoot em up film.
I think Intersellar is by far the best such film since "2001", and although it does take a little out of the box thinking, it doesn't go completely physcadelic (spelling) as 2001 does in places.
Next is The martian, and next Apollo 13.

And like you say, none of them are "space romp" shooters.

I think Intersellar is by far the best such film since "2001", and although it does take a little out of the box thinking, it doesn't go completely physcadelic (spelling) as 2001 does in places.
Next is The martian, and next Apollo 13.

I always thought the ending of 2001 was a cop-out.

Interstellar is an odd mix. It has some of the same brilliance and the same flaws of 2001 and 'best such film since 2001' is a pretty good summary.

I liked 'The Martian' - I think the book is brilliant and the film is a decent rendition of a book that used a lot of detail to carry the story with some substance.

(Me being pedantic: Apollo 13 isn't science fiction - so is technically another genre - but great film).

In many ways Kubrick's 2001 is the 20th century medium of film's equivalent of Michelangelo painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.:eek: The result of a dedicated band of film artisans*, driven by the artistic vision of one man, took several years to complete and resulted in something unique in its day. Possibly never to be repeated --- its that significant. :cool:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

*Douglas Trumbull was one of many

'2001: A Space Odyssey': Douglas Trumbull on Stanley Kubrick's Search for "Ultimate Perfection"

ps its an interesting phenomenon that as digital CGI technology has advanced to make such movies easier to make the actual quality of the narrative they depict and their characterisation seems to have become increasingly trivial in turn--the medium in many cases appearing to overwhelm the story.:(

Last edited:
Hal has been on estrogen ..... I’ve just got an ‘Alexa’ Echo... I was trying to ask about the weather in Malta.

It was just as truculent as HAL :wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom