2001 Bmw 330d - Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinyF1

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 Audi S5 Cab, 2000 E320 CDI Estate [now gone] , 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible
Long shot that someone might be able to advise me here....

I've just had a call from my brother who has a problem in Italy.

He's using a colleague's 2001 BMW 330d, and yesterday unknowingly put petrol in the tank [not a self service station and he speaks no Italian]. The car was near empty but he drove it for about 1/2 an hour with no problem. He started up this morning and it is running badly and smoking, hence realising there was a problem. He's sniffed the fuel tank and smells petrol.

What should he immediately do [given his language difficulties and any legal recourse to the garage aside] and how much damage is he likely to have done?

Any help gratefully appreciated

Last edited:
Sadly not - he's just moved to Italy

In terms of damage, potentially quite a bit.

At the least it'll need a full clean out of the system, and replacing any damaged parts in the fuel pumps and injectors.
Worse case scenario is a moderately mullered engine, quite possible given that he drove for some distance like that.

I'm sure Dieselman can give the full lowdown on the likely outcome of this.

I'm sure Dieselman can give the full lowdown on the likely outcome of this.

No need, you're pretty spot on.
The damage could be minmal to the pump and injectors or it could be terminal if a piston is on the way to being holed.

It's going to be a case of suck it and see after drain and refil. I'd fit new filters as well and check the old ones for metal particles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom