2001 C320 S203 tow bar wiring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

langley

Car
Mercedes c320 avantgarde s203
Hi people, im rather new here and also new to mercedes. I am searching for a specific answer if possible, i have a 2001 C320 estate (s203 variant) and am in the process of sorting a tow bar for it. But, im being confused by what wiring kit is required for this vehicle, as everyone i ask gives a differing answer. Seems to be two particular types: specific and universal with bypass relay.

Can any one tell me, which way should i go, are there any reason why i should pick a specific for this model. I ve also been informed that there is no reason to use specific on this car as it will not add any value, is this true/ false?

many thanks

sam

Generally speaking, the vehicle specific one will plug into your existing loom and will not need any splicing to the wiring.

Some of the advanced kits will also disable rear parking sensors and adjust your ESP settings to account for towing.
Unfortunately, not all vehicles specific kits are alike.

How much towing will you be doing and what will you be pulling?
At the age of your vehicle, a towbar will not affect value either positively or negatively.

I will be using it occasionally for a sub 1000kg trailer camper. So im after a removable really. Happy to fit myself as it doesnt seem to difficult, just didnt want to use a universal wiring kit and upset the car.

As long as the kit comes with it's own relay and is fed by a direct 12V feed then you have nothing to worry about.
If it's under 1000kg and the load isn't tall then I wouldn't worry about the extra ESP settings. They supposedly reduce sway but i've never felt the need for the extra help.

Brilliant thanks very much.

Can't add anything to the advice already given Sam, but here is the wiring diagram and colour chart for the C Class W203/S203.

This is an excellent instructional video for fitment of a specific make of tow bar to an E Class, but I would imagine the C Class is similar.

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=mIGHq_dud94[/YOUTUBE]

Good luck with the fitment.

I've bought bypass relays in the past from

Ryder Towing - Trailer & Towbar Electrics, Relays, Wiring & Diagrams

with no problems. I gave them a ring, told them what car, and they sold me the right thing.

OK, it can be a faff getting to all the wires in and around the boot, but the instructions are comprehensive, and it's straightforward colour coding. If you pay extra and buy OM plug and play, you still have to route and hide the wires, which IMHO is the hard bit!

HTH

Malcolm

I bought a tow bar and electrics which include a 7 way bypass relay.

I'm trying to get my head around the rear light wiring so I can wire up the relay.

Relay states if a common wire feeds tail and brake or tail and fog lights then a certain wiring pattern should be adopted.

From what I can see there isnt a common wire for these functions. But the car does use fog and brake lights for tail lights as required.

Anyone got any ideas??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom