2001 CLK 230k - slow-ish throttle response and lack of torque

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mistreku

Car
CLK 230K
Well, I seem to be having a little prob with my CLK. Actually, there are two of them, that bloody ESP/BAS light went on again, but that's a different problem.

For now, lack of throttle response and torque. The car used to feel all right, pretty punchy even at part throttle, until i decided it was time to do a few drag races in it (silly, I know).

Well, it might all be just in head, but I feel that since then, the car is not responding as fast to the loud pedal, nor does it have as much torque as before. Don't get me wrong, the car still runs nice and smooth, and pulls all right, but it just lacks that sudden surge that it had before.

I'm not sure it all happened after I drag raced it, but I think after that day it felt slightly slower and less responsive.

I don't have any warning lights on, except for the BAS/ESP light, coming on randomly, but I think that's not related.

Is there something I should be considering checking, replacing etc in order to restore the torque and throttle response?

Cheers,
Gab

Is your car manual or auto? My bas esp light has given me trouble for years, still trying to get to the bottom of it!

MAF sensor is the likely culprit, but check the supercharger is actually engaging, if not, suspect the recirculating air flap.

Howdy, yep, S/C is defo engaging, dunno if at full potential, but u can feel the intake hose getting harder as u rev the engine. Maybe engaging, but not developing full boost?

My car is a 6 speed manual facelift 230k (registered in 2001).

Still haven't got to the bottom of this, so any suggestions are more than welcomed.

P.S. cleaned the MAF, didn't make any diff whatsoever.

Have a look at cam sensor magnet on front of engine these get covered on oil and track into the loom there's a modified part to fit Spent ages on mine pulling the supercharger recirc air flap and ancillaries apart only to find it was the cam sensor magnet that was at fault even though star was reporting recirc air flap It had exactly the symptoms you are describing

Also drop the battery lead off overnight then reconnect that sometimes restores normality and is a cheaper fix than cam sensor

Last edited:
I don't have any warning lights on, except for the BAS/ESP light, coming on randomly, but I think that's not related.

First find out what is causing the BAS/ESP warning light to come on. ESP is connected to the throttle, so it's possible there's a link to the lack of throttle response and torque you mentioned. Maybe a faulty Throttle body?

I don't think it's related, tbh. The surge of torque is lacking with or without that ESP error (which, as I said, it's intermitent). However, I will look into it and double check, but I don't have much hope with it. Thanks for the input, appreciated!

Have a look at cam sensor magnet on front of engine these get covered on oil and track into the loom there's a modified part to fit Spent ages on mine pulling the supercharger recirc air flap and ancillaries apart only to find it was the cam sensor magnet that was at fault even though star was reporting recirc air flap It had exactly the symptoms you are describing

Also drop the battery lead off overnight then reconnect that sometimes restores normality and is a cheaper fix than cam sensor

Thanks mate, sounds like a good hint! I'll give it a try and see what happens. Cheers!:thumb:

First find out what is causing the BAS/ESP warning light to come on. ESP is connected to the throttle, so it's possible there's a link to the lack of throttle response and torque you mentioned. Maybe a faulty Throttle body?

It was again the dreaded brake switch. The previous one, although being quite new-ish (about one year old), was an aftermarket one, hence the ****e reliability. Broke down in 10 months. Bought a new OEM one and problem sorted.

Still have the throttle response issue but the situation improved a lot after someone taught me a pretty cool trick for the S/C, where it forces boost to build earlier (~2000RPM, instead of 2500) and the car feels noticeably faster now (I believe it has to do with restricting the recirculating air flap, so it can't bleed so much boost at low RPM's, thus forcing it into the engine earlier).

But I still have to try a new camshaft sensor, as per Flango's suggestion. I remember this car used to fly with ESP off and floored. I miss the surge of torque, diesel like.

It was again the dreaded brake switch. The previous one, although being quite new-ish (about one year old), was an aftermarket one, hence the ****e reliability. Broke down in 10 months. Bought a new OEM one and problem sorted.

Still have the throttle response issue but the situation improved a lot after someone taught me a pretty cool trick for the S/C, where it forces boost to build earlier (~2000RPM, instead of 2500) and the car feels noticeably faster now (I believe it has to do with restricting the recirculating air flap, so it can't bleed so much boost at low RPM's, thus forcing it into the engine earlier).

But I still have to try a new camshaft sensor, as per Flango's suggestion. I remember this car used to fly with ESP off and floored. I miss the surge of torque, diesel like.

So you tried the washer trick for the SC then :D a good way of exerting a little more power from the lump :bannana: Try changing the pulley that gets you even more :thumb:

sorry i dont understand how you fixed the clk.

Thanks, will give it a try next time when I next time I have to poke around down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom