2001 CLK 230k (W208) - does it have an amp? If so, where?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mistreku

Car
CLK 230K
As per title, I'm trying to locate the amp on my car, a 230k Coupe. I don't have the fancy Bose sound system, plain ole Nokia speakers.

The reason is that the rear speakers don't work well. You can barely hear them at low volume, and if I turn the volume up, they sound like the membrane is broken, or as if the amp can't power them. Bass sounds more like an old man's fart, rather than deep, clean bass.

Front speakers work fine, though.

I already replaced the CD player, so that wasn't the issue.

If there's an amp somewhere, it should be the main culprit. If not, and the speakers only rely on what the CD player is able to output, then I can only assume the rear speakers are fried (probably the coil, as the membrane looks fine).

Does anyone have any suggestions to this issue? Is there an amp somewhere? If not, should I have a look at something else? I've been told the amp should be on the left hand side, in the boot, behind the liner, but couldn't see anything for the life of me.

If you don't have bose then you don't have a seperate amp.

Sounds like coils are fried from overdriving the headunit amp into clipping.
Needs new speakers.

Cheers mate, will sort it out when I find a decent replacement. Do you think I could fit more powerful ones, considering I don't have an amp and have to rely on the CD player only?

The head unit is the limiting factor, not the speakers.

For cheapo speakers the standards are pretty good. With a decent amp they can produce a reasonable sound.

The MB standard audio 10 has a nice internal amp which will outclass most aftermarket options without going for the upper end of the market.

The original Audio 10 met his maker a while ago, it's been replaced with a Becker Traffic Pro, which should be better.

Regarding the speakers, I didn't say the OEM speakers weren't good enough, mine are completely fried. I wouldn't bother replacing them otherwise, I'm sure they'd be good enough for me.

I would replace with Standard OEM and fit a amplified sub in the boot if you want more thump. you can then tune the door speakers for more midbass and high end, giving them an easier time.

No mate, I think I'd more than happy with the OEM level of sound, I don't really want any extra speakers/subs at the moment. It's just that without those two rear speakers, the sound lacks a bit in bass. Heck! I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds now, replacing those rear speakers will probably be more than enough for me.

I will probably just look for a decent replacement pair of 6.5" speakers for the rear and keep it simple. Maybe an upgrade to the sound system wouldn't be such a bad idea, but there are other priorities with the car, like lowering springs (this thing rides sky high IMO) and a set of decent 18" wheels first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom