2001 clk 430

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MicB

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB SL500 (R230) 2003, MB SLK320 (R170) 2001, Volvo V70 XC AWD 2001
I have just agreed to buy a 2001 CLK 430 for Mrs.B to run around in. the deed is done with not much money at risk but I thought some of you chaps might be prepared to comment upon the wisdom of this purchase in terms of.....well anything at all really. It is Avantgarde, 115k miles with the expected bubbling of rust in the usual places for an MB of this era.....seems to be a genuine car maintained to MB scheduling. What about the power unit and electronics?

Mic

Engine is solid as a rock. I drop a pot of forte top end treatment in mine every 6 months prior to changing the oil. Gearbox's are very smooth but you must change the ATF at 75K. If you aren't sure it's been done, then just do it as a matter of course.

Dead pixels on the instrument cluster are common, but can be fixed. Fore and aft seat motors tend to seize also. Other than that and the rust....ace cars!

Engine is solid as a rock. I drop a pot of forte top end treatment in mine every 6 months prior to changing the oil. Gearbox's are very smooth but you must change the ATF at 75K. If you aren't sure it's been done, then just do it as a matter of course.

Dead pixels on the instrument cluster are common, but can be fixed. Fore and aft seat motors tend to seize also. Other than that and the rust....ace cars!

Thanks for that......I forgot to mention that there is an issue with the seat motors......passenger seat has ''given up'' and the driver's seat is apparently ''temperamental''.......seller's words not mine. Is there likely to be a cheap fix for the seats?

Mic

Could just be a stuck motor. Mine was seized when I bought it but it was freed up and has worked great ever since. Although the concept of electric seats is very appealing, the reality is that in most cases, once they've been set the never get moved again, hence why the motors seize.

Worth checking your fuses too.

I would advise about once a month operating every switch in the car and moving all seats to full extremities. This is something I've always done to every car I've had.

Daz

Good advice that. If your electric seats have memories, set one of the memories to extreme positions and simply press the button once a month. :)

Could just be a stuck motor. Mine was seized when I bought it but it was freed up and has worked great ever since. Although the concept of electric seats is very appealing, the reality is that in most cases, once they've been set the never get moved again, hence why the motors seize.

Worth checking your fuses too.

I am 6ft. and Mrs.B claims to be over 5ft. but I think she ''fibbing''.

Mic

I would advise about once a month operating every switch in the car and moving all seats to full extremities. This is something I've always done to every car I've had.

Daz

Has to be done if the interior is ever to be cleaned.

Mic

The deal went belly up

The trader with whom my seller had agreed a px deal would not release her from what he considered a Contract and I was not about to make things uncomfortable for my seller. I will not bore you with all the details but it would seem that the dealer was less than honest with my seller.

However I suspect that this car will now ''do the rounds'' within ''the trade'' and pop up with fewer miles on the clock than at present.

So for your information:

CLK430....KR 51 LGO.....has 115000 miles on the clock at today's date.

Mic

Then Mrs B is truly fortunate

Imagine driving down the empty highways and byways of our sceptered isle. Wind in hair, FREEDOM.
Imagine driving to a far flung corner of this green and pleasant land, and watching the sunset over a millpond sea.
Imagine the jealous looks of that nasty lady next door when you arrive in your shining new steed.

Has to be done if the interior is ever to be cleaned.

Mic

With the seats probably but I wouldn't have thought the heated seats, radio, mirrors etc would be activated during an interior clean.

Daz

No CLK but upgraded the work vehicle

Today I replaced the 1987 Volvo 760 GLE that I have owned for the past 18yrs. with a 2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD......dealer pal of mine made me an offer I could not refuse.
As a point of interest there is no rust apparent on either vehicle.

Mic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom