2001 MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS E200 Avantgarde 5dr Tip Auto Estate - ADVICE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E CLASS

Don't do lots of miles so.....

Whats this car above like in comparison to say an E240 or E320CDi of the same age.

Is it a good all rounder?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

With 80k whats it worth? (Has leather and on a Y)

I reckon £2,200

What to look out for also would be a big help - I'm told its less complex than the other models mentioned above.

Last edited:
Slow compared to both. The E320cdi being the best all rounder. Could be worth up to £3000.

But considerably more expensive if it was the same age and mileage.

Is it dreadfully slow?

Well, its a big car with a small engine. It will comfortably cruise all day in excess of 70mph, but will not be sprightly.

The CDI will be more expensive, but probably more frugal. The E240 will be quite quick but also quite hard on fuel.

Not really . Should be sub 10 seconds to 60 and will waft around rather than sprint.

Its considerably better than the non supercharged 2.0 petrol , put it that way.

Just don't expect to be blown away with the speed. Id be happy driving it.

The 240 is a slow for what it is. Im sure the BHP is similar between the two and the mpg should be better on the 4 cyl.

The E320 cdi is prob the fastest out of the 3 of them , but they will all cruise about. Don't take a 240 unless youre getting a really good deal on it.

The 240 is a slow for what it is. Im sure the BHP is similar between the two and the mpg should be better on the 4 cyl.

The E320 cdi is prob the fastest out of the 3 of them , but they will all cruise about. Don't take a 240 unless youre getting a really good deal on it.

The E240 and the E200 kompressor will be very close in performance.

The advantage of the E240 is that it will be smoother and more refined. But if the plugs need changing the E240 has 12 of them.

The E320 diesel should be a lot quicker than both the E200 and E240.

I guess you are probably more likely to find a genuine E200K than a big diesel at this age.

The diesels will likely have been bought to rack up big miles but it is always surprising that many are advertised displaying 99,000 on after 10 years with dubious supporting histories.

Ive had a 200k 210 . Mine was a manual , the cars performance was fine for real world driving . I could happly sit a 85 mph on motor ways , i did see 120 + mph on occasions . I test drove a 240 and found the performance to to no better , and checking bhp figures there around 163 for the 200k and 170 for the 240 . Fuel ecomny was ok with the car averaging around 28 mpg for mixed driving , and on long runs i would see 33 34 mpg .
Hope this helps

i have 2 240s and my e240 i have had for 2 years and its almost been perfect apart from rust..and i have drove a e200 and its really unrefined compared to the 240 engine and i wouldn't own one personally i just find that on a trek to glasgow id only ever take one of my V6s the straight 4s are great but again i have to say unrefined and snatchy under acceleration.. thats just my $0.02

Merc have a long tradition of producing large, low-powered, luxury cruisers, alongside their more sprightly models (anyone driving a 70' MB with a non-turbo Diesel engine - e.g. 220D / 240D - will know), absolutely nothing wrong with that, to each his own.

But apparently small petrol-engines Mercs are not very loved in general, so you could bag a very nice second-hand one for far less than a comparable much sought-after diesel. If you don't do mega miles (thus looking to get best mpg), and you don't intend to sell it quickly, go for it - the gain is all yours.

Merc have a long tradition of producing large, low-powered, luxury cruisers, alongside their more sprightly models (anyone driving a 70' MB with a non-turbo Diesel engine - e.g. 220D / 240D - will know), absolutely nothing wrong with that, to each his own.

But apparently small petrol-engines Mercs are not very loved in general, so you could bag a very nice second-hand one for far less than a comparable much sought-after diesel. If you don't do mega miles (thus looking to get best mpg), and you don't intend to sell it quickly, go for it - the gain is all yours.

well put.. i paid 2500k for a mint 203 240.. its just how the car game is.. for the money you save yearly on fuel which to me dont seem that much id rather have a petrol. thats my personal preference.. i do keep my cars for a long time and i maintain my 240 quite cheaply a lot cheaper than a diesel

well put.. i paid 2500k for a mint 203 240.. its just how the car game is.. for the money you save yearly on fuel which to me dont seem that much id rather have a petrol. thats my personal preference.. i do keep my cars for a long time and i maintain my 240 quite cheaply a lot cheaper than a diesel

You are preaching to the converted...

<------- :D

It all depends on how much RUST its got. More rust = less steel = less weight, so faster. :)

It'll get you from A to B but don't expect much excitement along the way. 136 BHP and 1560 KG don't make for a sports car. The best you can hope for is "relaxing".. ;)

The figures you have quoted are for a non kompressor 200...the 200K produces much more than this.

Personally I find there is nothing wrong with the performance of a 200K in day to day driving and fuel consumption is much better than the 240 which is a very thirsty engine.

Main thing you need to consider on a 200K is the exhaust mainfold ..its double skinned and can crack just where it joins the downpipes. As it cant be welded they then have to be replaced and they aren't cheap....so check to make sure its not got a chuffing noise at idle.

Other than that they are pretty bullet proof and as I say, fine in day to day driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom