2001 Mercedes E320 cdi, will no go above 3000rpm.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

meeka

Car
2001 mercedes e320 cdi Elegance
I just bought a 2001 Automatic Mercedes Cdi and I cannot get it to go above 3000rpm.
I have tried driving it only in D and the car always changes gear around 2000rpm even when I use Kickdown. The Kickdown switch seems to be Ok.

I have tried maually selecting gears and the car goes to 3000rpm in every gear and will not rise above this.

There is no black smoke. The engine is ruuning fine other than the rpm problem. A friend suggested changing the gear oil and filter and then think about checking other things. The car has done 120,000 miles.
Any one else had this problem or any ideas on the subject.
Thank-you,
meeka.

Sounds like a MAF or injector fault. Put it on a code reader to check it out.

Hi,
Thank-you,
I was thinking about limp mode but the display on the dash indicates the car is not in limp mode, mebe it would be the best idea to get codes read.
Thanks again.

Hi,
I think its best that I do what is being suggested by the members and get the codes read.
Thank-you for your help.

probably a split boost pipe... check the tube that goes from turbo to the intercooler for any cracks or splits... you will certainly have a code recorded on the DTC like P0107 or P0106... or even a P0237 or a P0241... they all refer to low pressure usually coming from a split pipe or pressure leak of someother kind...

Last edited:
Thank-you all.
This is a very helpful forum.
The members seem to know their Mercedes cars very well.
Cheers.

This one does sound like the MAF but you cannot be 100% certain. Unplug the MAF and see how it runs. As mentioned above, STAR is the best option to diagnose your fault.

Not related but if the car has done 120k and never had a gearbox oil change (likely) then get it done.

Hi,
Hoping to get the gearbox oil and filter changed this Monday 20th.
I see how the car fairs after that.

The guy that works at my car had someone with similar problem and Changing the gearbox oil and filter solved it.
As been said it needs done anyway.

If I still have a problem with Revs I get the codes read.
Thank-you,
Meeka

Last edited:
The gearbox oil and filter will not help. Read the codes before doing anything.

Hi bob,
It was the MAF Sensor.
£75.00 for New Mercedes one. No charge to fit.
£40 to get codes read and cleared after Auto Transmission Oil Change.
£45.00 to pay for Labour for Auto Transmission Oil Change.
Its like driving a new Mercedes.
Thank-you Brian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom