2001 W203 non gen Comand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattyv33

Car
2001 W220 S500
Hi all, been reading a lot of info on comand and installing etc.

I have seen a comand style system on eBay but can't find any reviews from people that have owned it.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281249577144&alt=web

I like it because it has a bigger screen and more modern ui.

Does anyone know anything about this unit?

Cheers!

Almost certainly one of the Chinese clones. You may be lucky but generally the quality is poor. Spend a bit more on a Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine or similar.

I like the OEM look personally.

I have been looking into the facelift conversion - seems quite detailed, has anyone on here performed the swap? I can get all the bits, its just connecting it is the issue.

Also can I use a 209 cluster in my 203?

Cheers

If you like the OEM look then you could get a (used) Becker unit for less, which will hold it's value (easy resale) and will almost certainly be better quality and more reliable.

I recently fitted the same Chinese unit into my 2003 W203.
It replaced my comand unit which had finally given up after 10 years and 2 laser replacements.
It was very easy to install and I was able to remove 10 years of upgrades including tv tuner, cd changer, Viseoo, Phone module as this thing does it all.
I went for the android version and can upgrade/browse web via wifi.
I bought co-pilot maps for the navigation which I have used in france and spain without a problem (much superior to the cd based comand)
As it has been mentioned it has a really good original look.
I researched for some time (Chinese exporters)

Joe

Hi Joe, I am interested in this unit you posted - is this the same unit you have purchased?

Does it come from America? How much did it come to?

Is it plug and play and finally can you use the phone controls on the steering wheel as well as volume?

Thanks!

I make a point of not buying clone anything. The companies who spend money developing and manufacturing a product (and offer support) to satisfy our demand deserve to be paid IMO. It seems to me that cloned/copied goods are everywhere and we are fuelling the trade by being cheap and short-sighted……..what happens if the 'proper' companies no longer find it economic to design/test/build etc? Will the cloning companies put that same effort in?
And how many times has someone had to post on this forum because there is no after sales service?
Rant over; I just don't understand the mindset of buying copied goods. They are cheap for a reason and you only get what you pay for!

I make a point of not buying clone anything. The companies who spend money developing and manufacturing a product (and offer support) to satisfy our demand deserve to be paid IMO. It seems to me that cloned/copied goods are everywhere and we are fuelling the trade by being cheap and short-sighted……..what happens if the 'proper' companies no longer find it economic to design/test/build etc? Will the cloning companies put that same effort in?
And how many times has someone had to post on this forum because there is no after sales service?
Rant over; I just don't understand the mindset of buying copied goods. They are cheap for a reason and you only get what you pay for!

I agree in principle, but my understanding is that 'clone' satnavs for MB cars in fact come with Android OS and their own software, so they do not actually infringe on anyone's IP or copyright?

Ie they are not really copies of MB COMAND, but just fit the same space in the dash and have a similar-looking buttons layout?

Or are there 100% identical copies out there, using the same Windows CE OS and software that MB use?

The replica sat nave offer a lot more and also have a bigger screen - if Mercedes made this modern upgrade I would buy from them however they don't and the sat nav made for my car is outdated now.

I have also been looking into a double din as suggested - I just want a decent sounding unit that includes Bluetooth, sat nav, aux and integrates with the steering controls as well as looking half decent.

The android based systems are tempting.

Good for You!:bannana:

I on the other hand do not believe this is a copy or clone of anything available for my ageing pre-facelift W203.

Faced with replacing the laser and loader and upgrading the navigation disks and still being left with 1990,s technology, I decided to spend a smaller amount and get an Android solution.
As mentioned previously the mapping via a paid sub to Co-Pilot (you will have choice of many apps)is excellent.
Safety camera alert included.
although the factory is in mainland China, I was able to buy through a local seller who offered fitting and warranty's (I collected and fitted myself in 1 hour)
To answer your questions about steering wheel controls.
I can answer the phone and scroll my contacts.
I can alter the volume on media being played.
The Bluetooth is much faster than my viseoo and phone module.
The dvd quality is fantastic, The sound on usb inputs and sd cards is also excellent.
I have one small problem which I will cure next time I pull from dash, the radio has slight interference (hardly noticeable), I believe I need a supply to the antenna.
I will also add an external mic (present is built in)
I am delighted with the finished look and being able to surf the web and check emails and look at mbclub when parked up:rock:
If I can offer any advice please feel free to ask or pm me.

I am not affiliated or dependent to any sellers of these units, I just researched long and hard.

Good Luck
Joe

Thanks for the detailed reply - it answers all my questions!

Last one, can you give me a link to where I can buy the exact one you bought?

Cheers!

I too have been looking at these units....... Could you post a pic of it at night showing the illumination

Cheers

Chris

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I have added some of the usual pics of during install (complete with Rats nest of cables and connectors)
I have also added some of the functions you may see on the screens.
The colours and sound have edit pages to set up as you would like.
I also downloaded a few wallpaper apps including MB and Dali.
The unit seems slightly deeper than the comand and was tight push to get it far enough back.
I bought via ebay from these guys
They buy from China and resell offering a warranty and fitting service (I have not tested this service)
I collected the unit from their workshop in Liverpool and installed myself.
It may be possible to contact them directly and negotiate a deal? or buy direct from China with link from earlier post.
(I would recommend not buying the Chinese map app and download your own)
I installed the USB connectors in the glove box and Ipod connector in armrest.
As mentioned previously I have no connection with these sellers or products, I just researched all options.

Good Luck
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom