2001 W210 minor rust problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

g1nganinja

Car
E320 CDi Elegance
Hi all,

As stated i have a w210 on a Y reg 01 plate which has developed a couple of rust spots, and as i live by the sea with that lovely corrosive salt ait, i wish to give them a treatment.

The main ones are on the rear drivers side door along the top mostly under the rubber seal but one has bubbled the paint onto main part of door and is now visible - there is also a couple of minor small rust bubbles which have burst and are not covered under paint (probably only about 4mm across for each one) on the drivers side front lower wing area.

I dont intend to keep this for more than a few years and plan to get a newer model then, so for now all i want to be able to do is arrest the rust and make it relatively aesthetically pleasing to the eye without having to go to the expense of a professional bodyshop - kids stuff is more of a priority for our cash!!!

Therefore, could someone point me in the right direction of what i need to do, whats involved, what equipment i will need, and where i should go to get these things too please?

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

Hi Mark, l owned a W210 for several years and where you have discribed rust on your car are the classic rust spots on this model. You will find that the rust on the wings is most likely all the way through and the rust under the door rubbers is very common also and hard to treat. If you do a search on the site you will find plenty of useful posts on how members have tackled this. Unfortunately the W210 is well known for its rust problems. Good luck!!

Buffers

As Buffers says, the W210's are notorious for rust - stems from MB switching paint types. Depending on how much (and how recent) of a main dealer service history the car had, would determine whether it was worth asking the dealer to talk to MB about a goodwill repair or contribution towards - but often claims were not accepted once the car was 8 years old. Whilst your's is past that, if its got a full main dealer service history it may be worth talking to the dealer / MB to see if they will help.

My 1999 W210 was terrible for rust and the Basingstoke dealer didn't want to know, despite it always being serviced there. Pro-Tech (indie at Kingsclere) recommended I take it to the Newbury dealer and so I tried them and ended up with new front wings, new doors, rear arches and tailgate, plus a bonnet respray and only had to pay £1500 after MB's goodwill contribution (and it was over 8 years old). So if you are within reasonbale distance I'd think about Newbury.

Otherwise it may be worth thinking about selling soon - before the situation gets worse, as it probably will!

The cosmetic rust is frequently a marker for more serious stuff underneath, subframes, inner wings, etc, etc. Worth getting these checked before deciding to spend money on the cosmetics.

Chaps, thank you for your daunting yet honest advice and insight!!!!

What a shame, i have really taken to the car - being my first ever Merc - and was hoping i cpould finally settle on it for a few years rather than changing every 5 minutes as i have over the last 20 years it seems!

I think that i will get some hammerite onto it as an initial precaution and when funds allow, get it into PCS who are just round the corner from me to have a good look around and see if the damage is more serious or not.

I saw an AMG kit for the w210 on Ebay for £150 - looks quite tempting versus £1500 ! :)

Cheers again chaps.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom