2002 C Class Coupe 200K Cold Start Surging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vlad

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various Mercs come and go
Ok, any pointers to the following problem

2002 C Class Coupe with 50,000 miles, Auto, Has just had a major, major service and also has just had a new Air Flow Sensor fitted.

Problem...when the car is started from cold and put into gear the car will surge, ie revs dip and rise, dip and rise etc etc. If you lightly press the throttle and wait 1-2 minutes the car will sort itself out and all will be ok and wont happen for the rest of the day.....needs to be left overnight for it to happen.

Car has also had the latest MB software for this model uploaded in an effort to clear the issue, but the problem persists.

Any thoughts?

Just posting the results of the problem mentioned above, just incase somebody "Searches" the problem in the future.

Apparently this is becoming a more common fault on the 1.8K engines used in the 180, 200 and 230 models.

The problem, is that the car will overfuel and cause the engine to surge within the first 30 seconds from start up from cold.

The solution is a re-map with new parameters that has to be set through the Star system.

The re-map can be found under the fuelling heading and its the third item down, which is "car surging in start up phase 1" or words to that effect.

Its due to overfuelling yes, but the overfuelling will be due to the crank case breather pipe being split.

Replace this pipe, underneath the airbox and clean out your throttle body.

Done loads and all have been ok.

I second what MB TECH said - there are DIY's on the forum on how to do this. Cured my engine problems with this fix.

Sorry guys this is a different problem to the common split crank case breather pipe issue.

You'll note that in my second posting, I mention that the problem only occurs within the first 30 seconds of the car starting, ie in the first phase of warm up......once it went past 30 seconds the car is absolutely fine and will not surge again.

Solution to the problem was the re-map with the revised parameters which dial back the amount of fuel being injected into the engine in phase one of warm up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom