2002 c200k engine management light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T_crown

Car
C200k
Hi All,

Can anyone advise me upon a re-occuring engine management light issue? My car is a 52 plate c200k with 56k miles. Been serviced by an independent and well looked after. Recently the EM light came on. I took it into an Independent where I normally get it serviced etc and he told me there has been an oil leak into the wiring loom which is apparently spitting out it him (it wasn't, I checked with him) and that the ECU was effected. he said there was absoultely no point repairing it as my car was worth only 5k trade and it would cost £3k to repair. He however seemed only too keen to want to buy my car as he said i should get rid. After a bit of investigating I found another Independent who offered a staged solution. In doing so he has:

Removed inlet manifold & carried out breather pipe modification.

Re assemble and road tes.

Full investigate of engine light and oil in ECU (very little)

supply and fit new loom, magnet, line and 02 sensor

clear down all fault codes and road test.

The car drives fine, but EM light has re-appeared. Independent has said, it could be down to the temperature change from inlet manifold work taken which causes EM light to come on. Nothing to worry and ok to use.

Original Independent got ****y with me that I took it else where and he told me the problem has not gone and my car will eventually break down on me. He actually used scare tactics on me and as result I found it pathetic and rude. Can anyone please advise me their recomendations and who they have/would use with experience is solving this issue going forward? As I travel to London from Leeds, I dont want to break down and now doubt presides!!

Many thanks in advance.

Best Wishes.

This is from Honest John:

'...other well known faults which might cause expensive damage are failure of the oil seals to the wiring looms from the top of the cam cover and to the autobox which is electrically operated...'

'2000 - 2003 4 cylinder petrol engines have an actuator that alters the cam timing to one of two positions This actuator is hydraulically operated and triggered by a solenoid. The solenoid coil has part of the wiring loom attached to it by a plug. An oil seal fails at the plugs connection with the solenoid coil allowing oil to slowly flow onto the plug. Oil finds its way by capillary action between the copper wire and plastic sheath of the loom, and migrates two plus metres along it until it reaches the cars ECU damaging it. This would of course also affect an auto gearbox if fitted. A safeguard is available in the form of a short 150mm loom extension with plug and socket. This stops the capillary action. Spare part numbers that make up this pro-active unit are (a) 1110510177 cost £30.00 (b) 1119970186 cost £1.69 and (c) 2711502733, cost £16.90. If the oil gets to the ECU the cost of repair is around £1,400 incl VAT. '

C-Class W203 2000 | Mercedes-Benz | Car Reviews | Honest John

Last edited:
sounds like it should have been a merc factory recall if an updated wiring extension is needed

Thanks for the quick response. I have been told the ECU is fine and no oil leaks exist under repairs taken place. Guess I will have to wait it out and hope its ok.

That would be ideal, but been told Merc knew about this and decided to do nothing about it as by the time it takes place, it will be out of warranty, so chances Merc will cough up anything what so ever is as much chance as winning the lottery 3 times in a row!!

if done a few were ive only replaced the intake pipe and cam magnets wiring blockers sometimes it works and its alot cheaper than replacing the engine loom.if your getting any cam faults get get the timing chain replaced they strech and can cause major damage if the engine is a bit missy and noiser than normal when you start the car up it could be your chain(id replace the timing chain pipe and magnets instead of the loom if it was my car )

Is the engine a 111 or a 271 ??

What is the new fault code mate ?

If engine oil got into the old loom and upto and in the Engine ECU then this will need replacing. Also was a blocker loom fiited between the camshaft magnet and the new loom multiplug ?

You need to find the cause of the new engine light on. There will be a fault code left.

Justin1600...thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have no idea which engine it is, but its the 163bhp one. WIll find out and confirm. Your right with regards to what you have written and a new loom has been fitted. With regards to the blocker loom being fitted, I will ask my Independent dealer.

Thanks again.

Blackc55..thanks again. Again good question and will find out.

many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom