2002 c200k estate - Rust around rear numberplate section

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cartwrm

Can anyone explain how to remove the large plastic piece on which the numberplate sits. Rust is appearing from the metal underneath it and I want to treat it before the winter.
The Haynes manual makes mention of the nut holding the numberplate, but I can also see 4 plastic grommets that are presumably holding the section onto the tailgate. And do any of the locking mechanism, wiper motor and numberplate light bits also need to be removed to get the panel off to get at the metal underneath. Would rather get advice than have a go using intuition !!

You will need to get the trim off the inside of the tailgate.

There are about 10 screw clips on the side and bottom edge. Unscrew and then prise them out. The edging will then come off.

The inside trim is clipped on. There is only one way to remove it - brute force. It is quite tight. It is held on by push clips.

Once the inside trim is off, you will see a nut inside that is right in the middle of the rear of the plastic number plate holder. Undo this nut.

The plastic number plate holder is now only held on by push-in clips. Lever it off with something plastic. There are 4 clips each top and bottom.

You will then be faced with a disgusting rusty mess. (If it is anything like mine). I tried POR-15 on it (twice), only for it to return again about 1 year later. Tried hammerite primer last week. Time will tell if it is any better.

Good luck.

Rust is prob coming from behind/inside.....lol welcome to the club!

My rust has started around the holes where the plastic plugs hold the number plate surround to the tailgate. It is rusting around the top row of holes. It then spreads in all directions. De-rusting and repainting becomes ineffective when the plastic plug is forced back into the hole - the new paint chips off around the plug, the rust starts all over again.

I also have some rust on the bottom of all of the doors, but not serious yet.

Duncan, thanks for advice, particularly on how many push-on clips there were. I couldn't prise the bottom clips out, so used a short bar on their ends to tap them out from inside and this might be a better way of preserving the outside paintwork from any 'prising' damage when trying from outside. What a crazy design the whole thing is ! There was about an inch surrounding the top middle holes totally rusty (probably from new) and half an inch around the top outer ones. The bottom holes seemed OK in comparison, just a small hint of brown under the paint. I used Kurust, then two coats of Hammerite smooth followed by a coat of touch up plus varnish. I also smeared some Waxoyl around the holes and on the clips before attempting refit. The number plate bolt is also awkward to relocate, I used a bit of Blutack to keep it pointing in the right direction. And when pushing the whole piece back on it still managed to scuff the top coat in a couple of places. Time will tell whether additional damage has been done by the clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom