2002 E220 CDI crank but no start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ksareen

Car
Mercedes E220 Estate Avantgarde
Hi all,

Wondering if I can get some help on here.

Recently, my 140K mile W210 E220 CDI had a diesel spill at the front, so took it to the local trusty mechanic.

Originally thinking it might be the injector seals (black death), it came out as the clear plastic diesel pipe (the one that has a clear vertical path towards the front top RHS of the engine and "T" joint underneath it (pipe 125 as shown in the attached).

The pipe was replaced with a genuine MB part and I believe the leak was sorted, as the tray under the engine is a lot empty and dry now but not fully dry yet, maybe due to cold weather.

The problem is that the car has started giving STARTING issues since this replacement and is now not starting at all.

I thought it might be the glow plugs but the car starts fine in the morning (1 CRANK), then if you idle for 5 minutes and want to start again after some time, it won't start. Also my journey to work is 5 miles. If I happen to go to my car during lunch time after 3 hours, it won't start either. It was taking 9-10 attempts to start every time. Once it gets warm, it starts fine, only does not start when you give it a longer break.

Since yesterday, the car is not starting at all after a 5 minute idle. There is still NO MALFUNCTION message on the instrument cluster.

I suspect its an air leak somewhere but not sure where to check, also cannot find a rubber ball in E220 that I had in my Vauxhall which you can use to pump in diesel.

Any advice would be greatly welcome. Thanks.
e220fuelpipe125.jpg

By ksareen at 2012-02-06

Last edited:
I have the C220CDI and recently had some starting problems. Mine turned out to be air getting into the fuel system due to a fuel line having a small split in it. The fuel lines can get brittle with age which causes them to split, worth checking all of them. Replaced mine and perfect ever since.

Another possible cause could be that the stop solenoid is faulty.

Hope this helps and good luck

I replaced all 3 fuel lines and then the starting issue vanished for a year before coming back again now. It might be glow plugs this time, but one of the fuel lines is still moist!!

I would hazard a guess that if one fuel line is still moist, it is leaking and drawing in air.

Russ

You don't need glow plugs on a CDI in UK weather conditions, mine have not been working for 2 years and it always starts OK. I would suspect air in the clear pipes, they seem to be very fragile and if I remember correctly there were 4 when I had to do them. But hey it could be a red herring and might be worth looking at the stop valve etc just don't know how you identify it.

The pipes would be thoroughly checked by the mechanic once he removes the top cover. I am awaiting a fan belt as that is going to be replaced too.
The car does start but it takes an awful long crank and when it finally starts, it does not sound like a "neat" start.
No warning lamps or messages on the cluster.

Can you please elaborate on the stop valve, where is it located and what does it do?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom