2002 E240 slight lumpy idle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freza74

Car
E39 at the mo, w211 e240 incoming.
Hi.
Just bought this car and didn't really notice it on the test drive. The car was a real bargain so I'm not too worried. It seems to have a slight lumpy idle where the whole car vibrates a little. The rev counter needle moves slightly up and down too. I never had this with my old e39 bmw, that was as steady as anything on idle and the needle never moved. Perhaps its just a characteristic of the 2.6 v6 ?. It seems to drive OK, no obvious issues or loss of power. I checked intake boot, maf, crank pulley too, nothing obvious. No warning lights on dash.
My mechanic will scan and check for any codes later this week just in case. I did drive it home with hardly any fuel left when I bought it Saturday so maybe I've clogged up the fuel filter ?.
Like I said, it seems to drive really good so I'm not too worried.
Also, any common faults to watch out for on these ?.
Thanks very much.
Wayne.

First check for fault codes , If i remember.the M112 engine is very good , could be a spilt pipe somewhere in the intake or PCV systey causing a vaccum leak .

I have the same engine and it is perfectly smooth ;)
The hoses are also the first place I'd start looking. Good luck.

Although not one of MBs most exciting or economical engines it is one of the most reliable and silky smooth.

Last edited:
M112 engines were developed in early 90s , tbh I had C320 coupe and it was fantastic.... But fuel economy is that of the 90s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom