2002, ML270, (Aus). 140K km's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benzdriver737

Car
2010 ML350cdi 1989 300E
Out on the highway today I noticed an abundance of black smoke and a distinct lack of power. I was thinking that the car had not been out of town for a while, and that the trip might blow some of the copwebs out... Speed on the highway was normal... Journey took about 3 hours (round trip) and when I arrived home I decided to have a look under the bonnet.
I found a burst hose pic1 (I think it has something to do with exhaust gas )
I've attached some pics to help with the above information.
The burst hose I can fix. But I was wondering what would cause the hose to burst?
Does this have something to do with EGR. As far as i know the EGR valve has never been cleaned. Although, I did recently (12 months ago) have the inlet manifold replaced... (limp mode etc) That's all been fine up until now.
Is the EGR visible in any of the attached pics?
Can someone tell me what the name of the silver/metallic object is in pic2.
The burst hose is attached to this and I was wondering if it (the silver metallic object) has caused the hose to burst.
As a consequence of the burst hose, there is a fine mist of oil on top of the main engine cover... (the right hand plastic engine cover has been removed for some time)
also in pic5 I've attempted to show that there is an oil leak running down one of the pipes on the left side of the engine to the base of the pipe that looks like it leads from the air cleaner..??
Any input or advice would be most appreciated.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 97
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 91
  • pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 92
Pic 1 thats just a turbo intercooler hose and they do fail on all turbo diesel vehicles.
Pic 2 the silver object is the egr valve
Pic 3 probably just oil leaking from the turbo to intercooler hoses.

Look here http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb0.asp?TP=1 model 163 270, then engine intake and exhaust manifolds, or maybe under radiator.

Lynall

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Lynall.
Today I ordered a new hose from local dealer... $174 AUD.
Hopefully that will help stem the black smoke.
The EGR valve appears to be held in place by three torx bolts..?
I was thinking I might have a go at cleaning the EGR valve while I'm in the process of fitting the new hose.
Does it matter what I clean the EGR valve with?
Are there any do's and don'ts when cleaning the EGR valve.....?
Anything to watch out for..??
Again, any input or info is most welcome...

again, many thanks Lynall for shedding some light in my direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom