2002 ML270 Oil Sump Plug Torque Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

metaron

Car
ML270 W163
Real simple quick question but amazingly I can't seem to find with Google:

What is the size and torque for the ML270 oil sump plug?

OK cheers for that, it's interesting as my bolt(pictured is 19mm)

Is this standard or has someone put a new bolt in?

sump plug.jpg

sump plug.jpg

I've only recently got the car and it's overfilled with oil so I wanted to take some out as I think it's cause injector damage as one of my injectors is hissing with smoke coming out of it so I just wanted to get a little oil out before I take care of the injectors.

I'm no expert but maybe a M13 bolt requires a 19mm spanner.

Do you have an oil overfill warning message displayed?

That's not a standard bolt.

I would not touch it and suck the oil out. Make sure the engine is hot.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah, as soon as you said 13mm I thought b****cks someone had put a new bolt in there! Looks like I'll have to buy an evac pump.

There is no overfill warning light on - does the ML even have one of these warning lights?

The ML dash shows overfill and also will warn when the oil level is low, the warning appears in the odometer display accompanied by a brief 'beep'.

Just to clarify the comment I added previously regarding the correct spanner size in response to your comment that the sump plug was 19mm.

M13 refers to the diameter of the threaded part of the bolt and not the size of its head which is the width of the spanner jaws required to fit it. The following will explain it better.

But, just to make things complicated - 'There have been ISO/ANSI recommendations for some head sizes to be reduced from 1992 onwards, but not everyone followed'.

As you will see from the above chart, there isn't a 13mm bolt listed, this being a very unusual size I believe.

I'm guessing from your previous comments that you thought oil overfill may be the cause of a leaking injector. I think you can discount that if you have no warning light. Get the injector sorted. If you use the forum search facility, look for 'Black Death' and you will see some extreme cases of the consequences if ignored. BlackC55 (Olly) has recently posted up an excellent 'How To' write-up here on removing injectors.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/howto/160423-how-remove-cdi-injector-black-death.html

Last edited:
Just to add that the (standard) drain plug on my ML is a 13mm spanner size

Thumbs up guys for all the replies;) I've posted some questions on the US benz forums and had some crap, unfriendly responses.

I had an indy look at the injector which was 'chuffing' and he said straight away it was stripped injector thread causing problems, great... Now I've read this post - http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/150709-stripped-thread-injector-bolt.html
and seen some people helicoil the injector threads out to use bigger bolts now if me indy has to take the top engine block off to helicoil 1 thread shhould I get him to do all of the injector threads to bigger fastener sizes? (I know this is really a new topic by itself.)

metaron said:
Thumbs up guys for all the replies;) I've posted some questions on the US benz forums and had some crap, unfriendly responses.

I had an indy look at the injector which was 'chuffing' and he said straight away it was stripped injector thread causing problems, great... Now I've read this post - http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/150709-stripped-thread-injector-bolt.html
and seen some people helicoil the injector threads out to use bigger bolts now if me indy has to take the top engine block off to helicoil 1 thread shhould I get him to do all of the injector threads to bigger fastener sizes? (I know this is really a new topic by itself.)

Did he remove the bolt to check it?

No, but the car was at my house when he looked at it not at his garage and he said not to touch the bolt until it's in his garage (Monday) - does this make sense or is he playing me for some work?

It makes sense. If he removes the bolt and the thread strips, the car is off the road.

Yeah makes sense I suppose, makes you wonder what the guys at Mercedes were smoking when they designed engines like this.

Does anyone know if the injector threads can be welded at the bottom to seal it from engine compression or are the bolts length vital to hold the engine together?

They are blind holes. Go too deep and the waterway will be breached.

So the engine compression pushes the injector up which strips the threads on the bolt holding it down - so having said this if it were to be helicoiled you wouldn't have to remove the top block of the engine? Just remove the bolt and helicoil it or tap it to bigger size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom