2002 W203 Indicator upgrade to LED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Richardson

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W176 A class 180 cdi
I've today completed the upgrade to LED indicators on my 2002 W203 Coupe & would like to share the works with those with older models.
Firstly the bulbs were purchased from Hids direct via e bay, the bulbs arrived safely within 48 hours & I found them to be a wonderful company to deal with.

The front indicators were a straight fit & upgrade to 50w without resistors & give a bright glow to the whole top of the headlight unit.

The rear LEDs required an additional resistor to be fitted which was to be in parallel with the bulb, so the nearby earth was used & the other end scotch locked to the live indicator wire. The installation was repeated on the o/s and completed in less than 1 hour.

The lights are certainly much brighter now, if I were to look objectively I would say that due to the intense brightness of the rear LED bulbs the amber colour of the rear light cluster is now much lighter.
My next projects will be to convert the brake lights and then reversing lights

Hopefully this will help others.

Dave

Last edited:
What about the indicators in the mirrors? Can they be upgraded to LED's?

Will be a Warning on the dashboard when there is malfunctioning LED ?

Following up.

I've fitted Cree LED's bulbs in all of the rear lights now and make no mistake the mod wasn't cheap at £35 re pair of bulbs + resistors & it's the resistors that prevent the error messages.

So it's 1 resistor per bulb including the double filament tail/rear fog.

Red LED's for the brake & tail/fog
Amber LED's for the indictors
White LED's or the reverse

Was it worth it ? a resounding yes! the reverse is brighter & whiter & the coloured lights are much more vivid.

Thanks for the info. I guess the front turn signal bulbs are the same as the rear ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom