2002 W210 Estate Xenon Failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

solarmer1

Car
MB 2001 E320cdi, 2010 W212 E350
Hi.
RE' My 02/2002 E320 CDI Avantgarde.

Nearside Xenon Philips D2R (4300 35W)has failed. I've replaced it however still not working. I've checked the fuse supply which is OK.

I know that these systems have a ballast (resistor?) arrangement together with a control unit.

In order to dig deeper into this I could do with knowing a little more about this system in order to faultfind. My questions, if anyone can help?

1. Where is the ballast arrangement situated?
2. Where is the control unit situated?
3. Do I need to dismantle the front skirt end to get at the ballast/control unit? If so is there an instruction on how to do this?
4. Once dismantled I would imagine that I could swap the units and ballast across each side of the car in order to locate the actual fault. i.e swap control units and then swap ballast arrangements.

Does this all sound feasible. I'm fairly handy with a tool kit however I'm just lacking any real knowledge about Xenon systems.

Thank you for any assistance that you can offer.

Regards
solarmer1

Last edited:
Bump. Does anyone have an answer to the above, I have a bulb out too....swapped bulbs, still out on the right side, so not the bulb.

TIA.

Hi,
I believe the ballast unit on the 210 is fitted under the headlight requiring its removal to gain access to it. The control unit I think is inside the headlight itself also requiring headlight removal to gain access.
Thought the ballast can be replaced separatly the control unit can,t requiring complete headlight replacement, but if you remove it you might be lucky and find a Bosch pt. No. On it like I did on mine.

Ballast, control unit and ignitor are the main parts?

Or is the ignitor and the control unit one and the same?

Hi,
I have always called the unit outside of the headlight a ballast (under headlamp in the case of the 210) and I believe the control unit (in the headlight) is also known as the ignitor.
If you look on the EPC and see what it calls them and it will give you some idea exactly where they are situated.
Swapping the units from one side to the other should be ok I did that in the case of my 43 though the hallways were different from one side to the other but only because of the mounting bracket being different, electrically they were the same.

Thanks Andy.

It is possible to buy an after market ballast and igniter to replace the OEM parts...£30. I'll go down that route if it turns out to be the ballast and/or igniter. Thanks for your help.

I've just been out in the car and...sometimes the lamp comes on sometimes it doesn't...like a bad connection, or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom