2002 W211 E270 CDI - Flat battery, cant get it started. Immobilised?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nav23

Car
2002 E270 CDI AVANTGARDE
Hi all,
I was just about to buy a friends 2002 E270 CDI AVANTGARDE, but I cant get it started.
He has emigrated so the car has been stood for 9 months.
He put a new battery in 3 months ago and it started up fine, then he said the next day it wouldnt start.
I took the battery off and replaced it with a new one and still no joy.
It unlocks, sat nav/radio turns on, lights turn on, all electrics turn on as they should but as I turn the key there is no noise from the starter, nothing, not even a click.

Warning lights come up saying:

• SRS Restraint system defective
  • ESP not available
  • Malfunction, electrical consumers switched off
I assume these are due to the battery being low, which is why I changed the battery....but still no luck!!!
Can anybody advise what I can try?
Is there a possibility that the battery is coded to the car? Or even the immobiliser is activated?
The car locks and unlocks from the fob.
Thanks

From reading other posts on the forum I have learnt the following:

- W211s have two battery's, but the front auxiliary battery won't be causing this fault
- I need an auto electrician to see if there is power going to the starter motor
- if there is no power to the starter motor, he needs to check all fuses including the module under the glovebox

I had similar problems, a replacement alternator solved everthing.

What kind of problems did you have?

Does anybody think this can be caused by the wrong type of battery??

Ive read that it needs to be an AGM battery.

I had this a few years ago with mine, MB diagnosed a fault in the ignition barrel and changed it which appeared to cure the problem but a few weeks later they had to take it away on a low loader and then changed the starter and the battery. Interestingly when running STAR diagnostics on it the screen kept coming up with voltage too low 10.5V when ever he tried to start it ....... also no noise whatsoever from the starter.

Try using the spare key....... i've previously read stories of the key becoming useless after changing the battery while the key was still in the ignition, which may, or may not be possible, but worth trying another key anyway.

Thanks for the reply guys!!
Panason1c - I have tried the spare key....but no joy!!
Tinkerer - I also suspect it may it may be the ignition barrel!!
On turning the key, the turning motion feels rougher than it should be, it should be smoother.
I feel that there is a possibility that when you turn the key, the ignition works up until stage two, then the extra turn to start the car, I think there may be no contact to send a signal to the starter.
A mechanic told me that the ignition barrel is a common fault with the w211, but I havent read anything about this on any forums. He said an easy fix is to wire a start button....but I don't like the idea of looking at my dash and seeing a big red button saying START!
Hopefully a friend of mine, who is an autoelectrician, will have a look today!
That is, if he decides to wake up on his day off, after going out last night lol!!
Fingers crossed he'll find the problem!!

Just a shot in the dark.....is yours one of the mb's that has two batteries........a 2nd battery in the boot?

Edit......... just read your post #2........... i assume BOTH batteries are fully charged and tested?

If a battery is left in a discharged state for 9 months (re your original post) it will now most likely be u/s

Last edited:
Usually if the aux battery goes for the SBC (yep I've had that let go) the car starts fine but the issue is that voltage is too low so the convience protection mode kicks in.

I'd try having it changed as on a 2003 car, it will be due for a replacement but I suspect their is a rogue drain.

I havent seen the smaller battery under the bonnet, but from reading on the forums, apparently there is one, aux battery, for the electrical componenents.
The battery I changed was in the boot, which I have been told is for starting the car. Do you think a low battery (smaller one under the bonnet) can cause it not to start?

Thanks *** you answered my question before I finished typing :)
If I use a jump pack on the terminals under the bonnet, do you think this will start the car?
There may be a loose earth somewhere from the rear battery.
Or will I need to buy an AUX battery to test if this is the fault?

A mechanic told me to jump start it from the front terminals, rather than the rear battery, as sometimes it will go into a "live protection mode" that limits the amount of power going from the battery to protect the electrical systems.
Either that or hes making stuff up now!!

I just tried to jump start it from the terminals under the bonnet...still no joy.
I think this rules out any corroded earth connections.
The autoelectrician wasnt available today...but Im pretty sure it will be a problem with the ignition switch.
If it turns out it needs a new one.....does anybody know the approximate price for a new one? Will it need coding?
I suppose it will need to be confirmed as the switch being faulty first, but just to get an idea of cost.

Last edited:
Turned out it was the starter motor.
Now theres another problem, which the mechanic caused!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom