2002 w211 no power centre consol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Hi a there a main fuse for compartment above the front ashtray? It's the electrical compartment tha also has stuff like hazard switch, heated seats etc as I've no power inc no hazards although indicators etc are all fine it's only that compartment that has no power? Any help much appreciated.

Well pressed the fuese 29 and 40 "Top consol" started the car and all good as been all day, Soooo watch this space lol.

All seems ok now :)

Intermitant power to centre console w211 2002

I still have this issue it would seem, Intermitant power to the centre console/cd changer in the dash.

Now and again on start up it doesn't light up and non of the switch's work including the hazard lights.

I've checked the plugs and fuses, Also took the fusebox unit out of the end of the dash to have a look at the wiring to the fuses that end. All looked ok?

Started the car last night no power to the console, drove 1 mile parked up engine still runing, i was playing with the seat controls looked up then saw that the centre console had its power back???

I'm thinking it could be possible Aux battery voltage (its original unit)

Or a Faulty sam unit? is that the one in the Boot?? btw

Or dodgy Centre console itself

Please does anyone have any ideas?? or what to test:thumb:

Last edited:
I've been messing about with it today for about a hour.

Its something todo with when the car go's to sleep. If i leave the car unlocked ie in the garage then go to it say 30 15mins or later i have no power to the unit.

If i lock the car for say over 15mins, Then unlock it power is restored for a but the car must be started, If not the power go's.

--------------------------------------

I'm now trying holding the release button for a few seconds after the car has been sitting unlocked and i reckon fingers crossed power will be restored until it go's back to sleep. :/

Last edited:
Dodgy SAM unit w211

Ok little update, Tried leaving the car unlocked for 20mins, Went out pressed the open button "Nothing" then i tried Holding the open button for 8 seconds... "Nothing" Turned key to Pos 2, Held the button for 5 seconds Tray opens, hazards and everything else works!!

I'd say wen the car go's into a deep sleep you have to either unlock it, If it was locked before hand.

Or Wake the system up eg Pos 2 on the ignition then holding the button for the tray to have power.

I think the above confirms a Dodgy SAM unit or one which needs restetting with star. But id love a proper expert to give there opinion on the above.

If it requires a Rear SAM unit there are £327 plus vat from Mb

So since my last post i left the car unlocked, for 20 mins, no matter what i tried even starting it i have no power at the tray/console.

So leaving for 20mins locked then im going to un lock it and see what happens :/

realistically, how often will you use it?

mine intermittently stops working too, but I hardly use the changer so not too much of an issue.

Right i have got to the bottom of how to get mine working! Done this 3 times now.

The car has to be Locked, as soon as i unlock it and its been asleep the compartment works!!

The thing is Alps its not just the compartment, its all the buttons, heated seats, Hazards, rear blind etc. I think this is all controlled by the Rear sam in the nsr Corner of the boot which is £327 + from Mb.

I know it sounds daft but im very picky with my cars so if it is confirmed that the issue is with the sam i will get a replacement. At least now all ive got to do is keep the car locked when not in use. Or a Hour before use. :)

I'm going to lock it tonight in the garage over night just to be sure and try it in the moring, I reckon itys going to be fine ;)

Thanks for the reply though Bud :)

Last edited:
Well proved my point., Locked the car in the garage overnight, Went down to it this morning unlocked it pressed the console button and Yep it opens straight away.

So why is it the console only has power when the car has been locked over 20 mins then unlocked with the key , The key on my person, or then driven??

Answers on a Post code :(

Fair enough mate, if the buttons don't work then different story!

check the canbus connections under the passenger side, as its all controlled via that

if SAM was playing up you would have had other stuff that would also play play up?... my 2p worth :)

Sorry Alps, Do you mean under the passenger side seat??

under passenger side glovebox.

Got this fault code:

Error code 9096

Control unit N93 (Audio Central gateway control unit) is not transmitting data on the CAN bus.

Central Controller module no communication

Turns out i believe this tobe the Audio's Amp/comms Unit which talks to the front canbus then onto the Centre consol which is why the consol sometimes work sometimes doesn't :/

So far the consol works 100% of the time when the car is locked, if left unlocked for over 15mins it can be fun getting it woken up.

I've spoken to Command on line There price was £720 fitted! as mine has 810 Harden Kardon System, if it was the std set up it would have been £379!

Merc's price was £600 plus vat and a Poss coding but tbh the bloke at Mb didnt know what he was doing.......

So at the moment whilst the System is working when i want it too im going to keep it in mind keep looking for a used unit until i cant bare it anymore how ever long that is??? knowing me probably till next week lolol

I'd have a closer look at that unit before replacing it. It could be a broken connection not the unit itself.

If you havea friend with W211 E55, maybe you can swap the modules and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
I'd have a closer look at that unit before replacing it. It could be a broken connection not the unit itself.

If you havea friend with W211 E55, maybe you can swap the modules and see if that makes a difference.

I hear exactly what you are saying, But the unit is tucked right out of the way on the Inner rear wing, The wiring shouldn't be Damaged if its been left alone from the factory so i'm thinking dry solder joints within the unit. :/

I may of course be wrong, I hoping when it does pack up i will at least know then what to replace. (thats my thinking) in anycase.

I do apreciate any imput / ideas though :thumb:

I hear exactly what you are saying, But the unit is tucked right out of the way on the Inner rear wing, The wiring shouldn't be Damaged if its been left alone from the factory so i'm thinking dry solder joints within the unit. :/

I may of course be wrong, I hoping when it does pack up i will at least know then what to replace. (thats my thinking) in anycase.

I do apreciate any imput / ideas though :thumb:

I once had a parktronic failure. Completely out of the blue. Turned out that two independent wires either burnt out or got broken suddenly. One in the headliner, another behind the panelling in the boot. That is completely out of access. One was throwing a fault, another (data wire) is only a one way signal wire so no codes. It was the continuity test that revealed the problem. Changing PTS module or swapping sensors didn't change a thing. :thumb:

I once had a parktronic failure. Completely out of the blue. Turned out that two independent wires either burnt out or got broken suddenly. One in the headliner, another behind the panelling in the boot. That is completely out of access. One was throwing a fault, another (data wire) is only a one way signal wire so no codes. It was the continuity test that revealed the problem. Changing PTS module or swapping sensors didn't change a thing. :thumb:

Fair play buddy, and it does require deeper inspection but wiring is not my strong point so will leave it till it fails completely, Or until i get fed up with it and get a someone who knows what there doing to look at it lol :thumb:

Few more clues, The problem seems tobe voltage related..... If say the car hasn't been run for 2 days ie in the garage, the consol does not open, Go for a drive and within a 10-20 miles turn of turn on and it works for the rest of the day???

And will the next day if the car is locked over night..... blooming strange, I had the Audio gateway out to get the Part number which is a2118272042 it's a Dual Tuner and Harman Kardon unit option 810, As command online also confirmed.

But im begging to think its not that at fault but the Console or the Head unit. As the Head unit will turn on but stay black sometimes also whn it does light up sometime there is no sound. the turn on button can be a bit iffy too......

Abit strange id have thought you should always have the Hazard lights available all the time so a design error by Mb for sure.

SOLVED!!! At last!!

Thanks for everyones imput, Centre console switch pack £168 inc vat from MB solved it!!

I now have everything working :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom