2003 C180 Kompressor erratic idle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blueovalcraig

Car
Mercedes C180k
Hi. I've been having issues with my car. It has developed a misfire/ erratic idle. I put my cheapie fault reader on it and it showed misfire on cylinder two. I changed the plugs and fitted a new coil pack and it was a lot better but it still has this erratic idle where it sounds as if it's 'hunting'.

I previously replaced the vacuum pipe which commonly fails and I have checked that again but it's fine and to be honest it doesn't sound as if it's drawing air from anywhere.

Could it be the timing ? I've heard that the tensioner can fail and cause the chain to jump a tooth.

All help gratefully received.

There is another pipe under the supercharger, I could well be timing jumped also, misfire faults and cam sensor faults usually mean timing issues.

If you change the one under the supercharger please take pics and post a detailed write-up, would be appreciated.

I used this to take the airbox off and look at the MAF https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EhnRhqPuHo

How many miles has the car done?

Thanks

Last edited:
The car has done 79000 miles. I've got it in my head that it's the timing. If it is I'll be selling it for spares or repair as I don't have the time to strip it down myself ( I'm a mechanic to trade but have an office job now ) and I can't afford to put it into the garage

Spoke to my old boss at the garage where I used to work. He's going to do a compression test for me.

If the timing has jumped. How much could I expect to get for it if I sold it spares or repairs.

Ok so I finally stripped it all down and see thet the inlet cam has jumped one tooth. Do you guys think that I might get away with replacing the chain, guides and tensioner and not having to replace valves?

Have ordered a Timing Chain and tensioner so hopefully it'll run ok

Check the top cam shaft sprockets. If the teeth have worn or missing any sell for spares . As can be expensive if your not doing labour yourself. Chain stretch can happen in these cars

Cheers M11ler. Sprockets all look ok luckily. I just want my car back lol

Congratulations on winning your car in one piece.
Cheers

Got the old chain off. Looks to have stretched about 1/8 inch. Will post pics later but what a pig of a job.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 27
Started car up and it's still got a bad misfire backfiring through air inlet. Looks like I'll be taking the head off to replace bent valves

I have a complete cylinder head off a 2003 c180 coupe 1.8 auto. if any of the parts are of use to you £100

Attachments

• 20150719_131813.jpg
    20150719_131813.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 22
I had the timing marks aligned and turned it over by hand a few times before putting it all back together

Last edited:
Any news yet, mate? I bought my C180 Kompressor Auto 2005 in May,have done less than 500 miles on it. Engine light is on, started sounding like a diesel osn idle,rpm not stable on idle and looks like consumption is above normal. Brought it back to dealer,refused to pay my money back, but agreed to repair it...if not repairable will refund. I am reding your thread and waiting to see how you fix your car. You mentioned on the beginning about a vacuum pipe that usually fails...which one is that, any pics and details please?
Hope you will fix your car soon!

The vacuum pipe I replaced was the one that goes from the air feed, down the side of the Supercharger. It joins onto another vacuum pipe there which runs under the supercharger and into the block. I'm taking my cylinder head off this week to see what valves are bent. I will take photos of these vacuum pipes while I'm at it.

Sounds to me like you need to change your timing chain, tensioner and guides.

That is what they are going to do at least...starting with Timing chain kit, hopefully sprockets and valves are ok. I have not driven the car much with these symptoms. Tried to keep my foot between 1000 and 2000 rpm max. Have done about 100 miles maximum with this bad sound like diesel. Will take a look of these pipes when you post pictures. Good luck, mate!

Turns out I'm a ****. I double checked around the engine bay and discovered a loose earth and an unplugged sensor. Sorted them out and bingo, cars running sweeter than ever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom