2003 C220CDI Estate wallowing and feeling unstable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris.chambers

Car
Toyota Avensis / Mercedes C220 CDI Avantgarde
Just bought a 2003 C220CDI estate with 160,000 on the clock.

The suspension just does not feel right.

Is it best just to replace the shocks or do I go for bushes etc. as well, can anybody advise on the best shocks whithout breaking the bank, nothing was picked up on the MOT but it just doesnt feel right.

Have had a C200 estate (older model) for ten years over 190,000 on clock and it did not feel like this.

Any Ideas??????????

You should only replace what needs replacing - can you get it looked at by an expert in your area - there's lots of good indies out there?

BAsed in Barry (Think Gavin and Stacey!)

There is one indy who serviced it last but they did not pick up on it and wanted over £200 for replacing a spring on the foot brake so unsure about using them again, seemed expensive.

BAsed in Barry (Think Gavin and Stacey!)

There is one indy who serviced it last but they did not pick up on it and wanted over £200 for replacing a spring on the foot brake so unsure about using them again, seemed expensive.

So, its a spring in the foot brake (go to other thread and input this info.:)

As for your "feeling"...find out what/if anything is wrong, and fix that.

My guess = broken springs or worn rear shocks. But as has been mentioned a thorough check required by someone who knows what to look for in a Merc of that age. Older Mercs separated spring and shock absorber function/location and seemed to be more tolerant of wear in one or other component without noticeable changes in handling.
ps you don't have self levelling rear suspension have you? not sure if it was an option on the W203?

Without sounding completly dumb how can I check if I do have? Suppose the simple answer is load up the car!!!!!!!!!!

Have a look here for location of components. I should point out it was fairly rare on the W203 afaik. SPRINGS, SUSPENSION AND HYDRAULIC SYSTEM
If you have it there will be a separate hydraulic fluid reservoir under the bonnet somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom