2003 C270 cdi personal reviews

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Narbar

Car
W124 E200
Hi, im looking into buying a c270 but im reading mixed reviews on the build quality and rust. So i thought who best to ask but the people have actually own them :D

So my basic questions are, are these c classes built well and are they likely to rust? And basically any other useful tips for buying or reasons to avoid these cars. Thanks for your time, Dean

The 2.7 5cyl diesel engine is a very durable engine; good on mpg and plenty quick enough.

With regards to rust, Mercedes started galvanising at the back end of 2003, so I'd try and aim for a 2004 to be on the safe side. Having said that, my friend owned a 52 plate from new and that didn't have a spot of rust, do they're not all bad.

What's the budget?

Hi thanks for the reply, would it be best to go off registered dates for the galvanisation or find out the build date? My budgets around 4000 to 4500 :)

Very wise man, I see... Build date is the one you need to find out; the common date it was meant to start from was September(ish) 2003.

You should be able to get a good example for that sort of money.

I owned a W211 E270 CDi for a year and besides an oil service, it didn't cost me a penny.

Sounds perfect to me! Im guessing the build date will be in the engine bay???

Hi, l have a C270cdi estate, 2003. Had it for 2 years now, 126000 miles on clock, no rust what so ever. Strong engine, if a bit agricultural. Have had to sort out the inlet manifold, which can be a problem on these engines with a few miles on them. You should go for the avant garde spec as you get more for your money. Look out for electric door locks, indicator stork working all correctly. Good sound car, well made, good mph with a bit of go if required.

Sounds perfect to me! Im guessing the build date will be in the engine bay???

You need the VIN to check the build date, then if you ask on here nicely someone will check it for you.

Thanks for the replies, i have a Toyota Supra at the min and im hoping to sell in may and thanks to you guys ive just confirmed my next car to be a c270 :)

One last question ? Do you think a 2004 model is realistic with my price range???

Last edited:
I would say so, make sure it has a good service history, all the electrics work etc. If the cars you look at have a few miles on them, quick high revs is a good check, plumes of black smoke could indicate inlet manifold wear which is pricy to resolve. Good luck in your search, there are plenty of good ones around, just take your time!!

Thanks again for the advice :) just one last question, is the newer nano painting used on the 2005 plus c classes something worth paying extra for or shall i just stick to the 2004 models?

I remember reading here or on t'other side that it was end 1st quarter 2003 that galvanising was reintroduced, and that nano paint came in end if 1st quarter 2004 - but don't ask me for chapter and verse! I know my 2001 S203 did rust, but the C270 engine is superb.

Floor it and check it revs above 3k and that kickdown works - if not, MAF needs changing. If poss chack that engine gets up to 80+ (access engine temp via the steering wheel buttons), they're prone to thermostat failure. Check front suspension for knocks over potholes, could be ARB bushes, lower links or rose joins (or all of the above). Other than that, fantastic car, had mine for 3 1/2 years and only changed it because I found an s204 C220Cdi at a superb deal (collected it last Friday!).

Thermostats do fail and tend not to go over about 70 degrees, not the end of the world, not expensive and easy to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom