2003 clk trying to get a chrome key

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320-

Car
CLK320 2003
I know this has been covered before but there doesn't seem to be a clear answer
Is the only way to get a spare key to order one from Mercedes? There are some sellers on eBay offering a programmed key for £130 just need to drive to there garage to get it done.
Is it possible to transplant my spare keys innards into a new chrome key from eBay for around £40? I saw in some posts they said it's possible and in some it's not? Does anyone know of anyone carrying out this 'transplanting' service?
Thanks

Forget Ebay keys, may not be able to program them. I think the only to get a chrome key is to go direct to MB with proof of owner and a few £100s. Expensive for a bit of chrome.

Why don't you get just the casing, like this; NEW 3 BUTTON SMART CHROME REMOTE KEY FOB CASE for MERCEDES C, E, CLK, SLK etc. | eBay

and put the guts of your existing key into that?

(n.b. I only did a quick ebay search. I don't know if other cheaper equivalents are available)

That one is a new variation to me - its styled like the symmetrical MB 3 button key, but appears to accept the insides from the previous gen asymmetric 3 button non-chrome key.

All the key cases I had seen before would only accept an exact like for like transposition.

Last edited:
Why don't you get just the casing, like this; NEW 3 BUTTON SMART CHROME REMOTE KEY FOB CASE for MERCEDES C, E, CLK, SLK etc. | eBay

and put the guts of your existing key into that?

(n.b. I only did a quick ebay search. I don't know if other cheaper equivalents are available)

Update to my post above:

My spare key was the older style and had worn a hole over the lock button, I bought one of these chrome conversions of the older style key and successfully swapped the old innards this evening.

One tip - I first tried to slide the pcb in, just as in the Mercedes key. (No instructions supplied with new fob.) It took me just under an hour to realise you split the new key fob into two halves by sliding back the chrome bezels about 5 mm and unclipping them. The old pcb is then placed on one half and the holes in the pcb locate onto 2 plastic pins.

All in all pretty happy, now have working chrome look spare key at low cost.:thumb:

PS I actually bought this one as it was cheaper:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modified-...269665?hash=item360764a261:g:fekAAOSwiylXDF6Q

Ordered on 2/11, arrived today.

Last edited:
Update to my post above:

My spare key was the older style and had worn a hole over the lock button, I bought one of these chrome conversions of the older style key and successfully swapped the old innards this evening.

One tip - I first tried to slide the pcb in, just as in the Mercedes key. (No instructions supplied with new fob.) It took me just under an hour to realise you split the new key fob into two halves by sliding back the chrome bezels about 5 mm and unclipping them. The old pcb is then placed on one half and the holes in the pcb locate onto 2 plastic pins.

All in all pretty happy, now have working chrome look spare key at low cost.:thumb:

PS I actually bought this one as it was cheaper:

Modified New Smart Remote Key Shell Case Fob 3B for Mercedes-Benz CLS C E S | eBay

Ordered on 2/11, arrived today.

I'm glad it worked out and you achieved what you wanted to! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom