2003 CLK320 (W208) Roof problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WarrenM

Car
CLK200K Sport
Whilst restoring the roof cloth I partially opened the roof and closed it a few times. All seemed well. Normally the roof works perfectly. Until now!! It has just stopped moving altogether. Here is what is happening.
* Open roof handle - all windows open, consul roof switch turns red
* Pull up consul roof switch - switch flashes but NOTHING else happens
* everything else seems to work fine incl. boot lock, rear safety head rests, windows, central locking .....

So far all I have done is
* Checked all fuses in boot fuse box. All intact
* Run an OBD2 fault code check - no faults shown
* Checked that boot pull out cover was correctly extended and triggering trip switch
* Turned on and off just about every switch to confirm that everything is working

So now the roof looks fantastic by way of the work done on the canvas but it doesn’t open!! Not great situation.

Are there any kind People out there that could give me any advice? It would be much appreciated.

Did you diag the car using the Mercedes SDS?

if I recall correctly, only the Mercedes SDS can scan all of the roof modules and micro switches.

I assume you tried the roof with the car started so that should rule out a low battery.

There is a resetting procedure, I'm not 100% sure so you might have to google it. It involves holding down the switch for the rear headrests in both positions and also doing the same for all the windows. Double check but it's worked for me in the past.

Did you diag the car using the Mercedes SDS?

if I recall correctly, only the Mercedes SDS can scan all of the roof modules and micro switches.

I assume you tried the roof with the car started so that should rule out a low battery.

Hi. Yes have tried the car started but no to the SDS. I don’t have access to that. Is there a way to diagnose without that?

Try the roof pump relay, mounted on the pump. Helped a friend with this exact same issue a few years back. Swapped the fuel pump / roof pump relays around and the problem moved with the relay.

Try the roof pump relay, mounted on the pump. Helped a friend with this exact same issue a few years back. Swapped the fuel pump / roof pump relays around and the problem moved with the relay.
Where is the fuel pump relay located?

Can you hear the pump?

A Star will really help in diagnosing this if a new pump rely won't fix it. Its like working blind without one.

Where is the fuel pump relay located?
Warren, Did you resolve the roof problem?
I have the same the same symptoms that you had, but so far have not been able to sort it, despite having checked the relays and checking the hydraulic oil levels in the roof pump.

Whilst restoring the roof cloth I partially opened the roof and closed it a few times. All seemed well. Normally the roof works perfectly. Until now!! It has just stopped moving altogether. Here is what is happening.
* Open roof handle - all windows open, consul roof switch turns red
* Pull up consul roof switch - switch flashes but NOTHING else happens
* everything else seems to work fine incl. boot lock, rear safety head rests, windows, central locking .....

So far all I have done is
* Checked all fuses in boot fuse box. All intact
* Run an OBD2 fault code check - no faults shown
* Checked that boot pull out cover was correctly extended and triggering trip switch
* Turned on and off just about every switch to confirm that everything is working

So now the roof looks fantastic by way of the work done on the canvas but it doesn’t open!! Not great situation.

Are there any kind People out there that could give me any advice? It would be much appreciated.
Hi, did you end up finding a solution to this problem? I have the exact same problem it seems.

I have a 2000 CLK 320 (W208) and the roof is closed and will not open. I have checked the sensors that are part of the retractable luggage slider in the trunk and it is certainly not those because the switch does not blink when trying to open the roof (as it would if the car thought the slider was not closed). When starting the process and unlatching the roof, the windows come down as usual. But once we pull up on the switch nothing happens. I have checked all fuses in the front and rear fuse boxes. I have tried tightening the two latches in the back of the car to see if they are making the car think the roof is not fully closed, but that did not help.

What is the next thing to check? Do I check the switches/sensors in the folding arms of the roof or do I check the relays by the pump behind the rear seats?

What happens when attempting to open the roof: (Exactly what you said)
Open roof handle - all windows open, consul roof switch turns red
Pull up consul roof switch - switch flashes but NOTHING else happens
Everything else seems to work fine incl. boot lock, rear safety headrests, windows, central locking .....

Any suggestions would be helpful, and it really seems like your problem is the same as I am struggling with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom