2003 E Class

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glenavy-drongo, Jul 14, 2018 at 11:07 AM.

1. glenavy-drongo

glenavy-drongo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK55 Cayman S Sport Ducati Diavel Harley Fat Boy
    Morning all

I am looking around for a car to use over the winter and spotted a 2003 E Class 2.6 Avantgarde with just under 63,000 miles.

Anything in particular I should be wary of? I am aware that this model can suffer from SBC pump issues, so is this likely considering the low miles? I am not expected blistering performance, rather something that will be comfortable and as pain free as possible, whilst the other cars are in hibernation.

Thanks in anticipation.

D

2. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
    SBC is activations rather than mileage. A low mileage car could have either a high number or a low number, depending on what type of journeys it has done.

Saying that, it's not quite as expensive anymore to have it replaced (although still a good few hundred quid).

The only other potential money pit is if it has the Airmatic option.

glenavy-drongo likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    glenavy-drongo

Car:
    Thanks John. I think this has standard suspension. I have an indy with STAR, who should be able to read the activations. Dredging my memory, did these have the Valeo radiators fitted?

D

4. DSM10000

DSM10000 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    It is possible it has a Valeo radiator, a Glycol test on the ATF might put your mind at rest. also check the Pilot bush in the transmission, they commonly leak and the fluid can wick it's way into the TCU and cause problems.

A new bush with uprated seal is around £20, a transmission fluid and filter change would not be a bad idea if it has not had one, also, when were the plugs (12 of them) changed? along with the (2) air filters?

5. MercedesDriver

MercedesDriver Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W212 E250 CDI BlueEfficiency Avantgarde Estate
    Check when both batteries were changed, if at all. Not over expensive, but if bad can cause a lot of electrical gremlins. Make sure all electrics work. Switch on and off everything. Check the colour of the brake fluid, if brown-ish must be changed.

6. OP
    OP
    glenavy-drongo

Car:
    Thanks for the input chaps. Just had a look at the MOT history and it reads a bit odd. Last taxed August 2016 and the MOT is due again in September of this year, yet the advert states 8 months MOT, which could be human error of course. Last owner since 2005. Perhaps the car has been laid up for some time, yet according to the ad, it has been recently serviced.

If it has been laid up, I will check what the recent service included. Re: the batteries, can this be checked from the OBC? I can check the voltage on the 55 from the OBC.

I will speak with the dealer on Monday and ask him all the relevant questions. Getting the car to my indy could be an issue, but I will cross that bridge if I decide to move forward on the car.

D

MercedesDriver likes this.
  7. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CL500
    Yes, you can flip to the voltages in "service mode" where it show in the middle of the speedo (there is a button combination to access this).

These cars are very sensitive to voltage drop.

My memory of voltages fades on these cars now but from a previous post of mine:

W211 Stero, indicators, lights, parking sensors etc..

MercedesDriver likes this.
  8. MercedesDriver

MercedesDriver Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W212 E250 CDI BlueEfficiency Avantgarde Estate
    How to:

John likes this.