2003 E220 CDi estate S211 Porous Alloy Oil Sump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ksareen

Car
Mercedes E220 Estate Avantgarde
Hi all,

My 2003 E220 CDi S211 Estate had for the last 6 months a small leak from the front vertical side of the Engine OIL SUMP. The sump had gone porous from the FRONT (not far from where its screwed into engine) and oil would seep out through the metal on to the anti roll bar and then to plastics trays!!

My local garage tried TWICE with something called "chemical metal" but the leak would come back.

Over last weekend, I put the car on stands, removed the under body trays and drained the oil. Then used the entire tube's well mixed "marine putty" on top of chemical metal, covered it well from all sides and let it dry/ cure for 24 hours before putting the oil back.
All was fine until last night when the dreaded leak came back.

My mechanic has now advised to try one of those engine oil leak bottles that you add to your engine oil and it cures the leak after some time. But every bottle I look at only mentions seals or gaskets, does not mention porous metal sumps.

Can anyone give any suggestions/ recommendations about which one to buy?
Anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Why not just replace sump if it is that corroded...

You would not want a larger hole to appear driving down the motorway it would empty in minutes.

I have also used chemical metal to repair the same kind of job on customers cars that they wanted to sell on... Its all about the preparation of the metal
I used parafin in the sump to remove all traces of oil from inside at it just keeps leaking otherwise

Why not just replace sump if it is that corroded...

Are they easy to replace on W211/ S211 E220 CDi?

Any idea on cost? The second hand sumps from ebay were not that cheap really.
Also do you need to get a new sump gasket as well when you change sump?

The sump on mine was not removed as porous area was easily accessible, only the surface was sanded when chemical metal/ putty were applied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom