2003 E220 CDi S211 Hydrauic Tensioner: Leaky with vibrations...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ksareen

Car
Mercedes E220 Estate Avantgarde
Hi,

My year long struggle with the accessory belt tensioner of my car continues.
History from last year:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engi...ator-belt-flapping-continued.html#post1824903

This hydraulic tensioner, not only vibrates, it also has started leaking again. I bought a new one (DAYCO make) in Aug 2013 and have already replaced this with another DAYCO in Jan'14 (under warranty) when it was leaking. So far I've changed the water pump, pulleys, belt twice (original) and tensioner (twice) to solve this problem.
Now it has started leaking again and the warranty from Eurocarparts expires on 20th Aug 2014.

I've been told by a scrappy in London over phone to change this "hydraulic" tensioner to an "automatic" type along with the crank shaft pulley as he says the pulley is too heavy and tends to develop a play, cause vibrations and damage the tensioner (as it's doing on mine).

Can you please advise if such a swap is possible on my car. I am uploading the current hydraulic tensioner (the one with a hydraulic piston on the LHS) and the roundish "automatic" type.

Thanks for your help in advance.
tensioner.JPG
Automatic_type_tensioner.jpg

P.S The Alternator pulley is SOLID, not CLUTCH type as confirmed by the MB dealer on my car, so the vibrations cannot be caused by a bad alternator pulley IMO.

Last edited:
I think you should just buy an MB tensioner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom