2003 E320 W211 CDI - lights all over the place

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aquilaalba

Car
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI W211
Hi all, got an E320 W211 that had a major water leak from under the hood (blocked drains) into the driver's footwell, also suffers from 'black death', that I will cure tomorrow, but for now trying to sort the lights out. When it's started, should the lights on the front switch on, even if the switch is set to '0' or is it a fault in the wiring? I've disconnected the headlight switch (one ordered) as old was messed up and I thought it might be causing it, but lights come on anyway. Is it normal or does it indicate a fault somewhere? Drains unblocked, central leak off pipe reconnected, car is (slowly) drying out. Removed and cleaned contacts on all ECUs in the box, it starts and behaves 'almost normal', bar the lights.

Hi,
with the light switch in the off position then there should be no lights on. If they are on, then either you have a defective switch, or someone has tampered with the wiring, or you have had some rodent chewing away at the wiring causing a short. Were the drains blocked with any form of rodents nest ? If so check the wiring where it goes through the bulk head and around that area. Also make sure Mr Rodent is no longer living in the car. !
I rather think you are going to need a wiring diagram to help you sort this out. As I recall there is a wiring diagram in the back of the Haynes Manual, I cannot find my book to confirm whether the diagram in it will help you out.
Good luck with cleaning the black death and replacing the Injector seals. When mine needed doing, I did all the cleaning and got the garage to fit the new seals.
Steve.

Have you checked the instrument cluster setup screen as some have a setting to allow the headlamps to be on permanently to act as DRLs

As above, light behavior depends on country setting, and cluster option 'constant' - 'manual' drives it. Does headlight go off if you select either of side parking position of the switch?

Bit of an update, as since unblocking the drain holes and drying the car I've connected it to diagnostics, erased the faults, all was good. After coming back to the car, the key won't turn in the ignition, no response to remote, etc. I have replaced batteries in remote, disconnected the EIS, checked it inside, no water related damage, cleaned the IR sensor, connected back - still dead. Diagnostics won't connect to EIS module, which makes me think I've lost power to it somewhere. Will check the tip with settings for the lights, as could be it, but switch wasn't doing anything, when I turned it, LCD started to come out with more and more faults, so it might be shot alltogether. Will give it a chance first though, as it's dry again. Once thing I noticed, the EIS has one bit on a cable connected one side, but only two plugs are going into it, is it normal, or is there a stealth plug I've missed, checked for one, but it seems there are only two connected to EIS. There is a space for third one and in all honesty that would explain lack of communication, but maybe it is only connected to two on W211?

Another update: checked with Autel and signal from the remote is being recognised, but it won't open and close doors, etc. It receives signal from the remote as the status of 'radio reception of the vehicle key' is changing to 'active' when remote is pressed. Remote is working then, as both, the radio signals and IR signals can be checked for presence. This confirms that it is still being recognised. However, I've pulled codes:
9042 - Control module N80 (steering column module (SCM/MRM) is not sending data on CAN bus, and another: 9088 - Control module N73 (electronic ignition switch (EIS/EZS) control module is not sending data on CAN bus. Checked voltage on small blue plug going into the EIS module and it's getting 12V and GND. However the large plug on EIS isn't getting any power and can't find GND on that one, so it could be it's not powered or there is no ground going into it, hence the whole contraption is not getting powered, ergo - whole thing is dead. Checked all fuse boxes: left rear inside boot, inside the spare wheel well, side of the dash by door pillar and under the bonnet, next to all ECUs. All seem ok, pulled them individually just to be sure, all good. Moved all relays about, no change. Any ideas?

Pre fuse box in passenger foorwell feed all main lines to engine bay. Can't remember is there any EIS related...

Checked, badly corroded, but all lines still active. The comfort module got wet and had some crust at the bottom, this could be it, but it could also be the EIS module, so puzzled as to what to do. It's too large to leave it where it is as a garden ornament, so need to sort something out. Here's how the box looked like.
box.jpg

Checked, badly corroded, but all lines still active. The comfort module got wet and had some crust at the bottom, this could be it, but it could also be the EIS module, so puzzled as to what to do. It's too large to leave it where it is as a garden ornament, so need to sort something out. Here's how the box looked like.
View attachment 123184
You have got to clean the big green one at the bottom buddy …..Jesus that’s bad , has the car been underwater in the sea .

It was only water leaking through the bulkhead, how long it was happening, is the question...

I've bought another ECU kit, yet to start it, it would require only EIS, ESL and ECU to be swapped. I've swapped the front SAM as well due to bit of corrosion on the bottom, also ZGW module and ESP ECU - I think that's too much, as the car starts, but shows -------- instead of mileage. Anyone had similar experience with this? I'll revert back to original ZGW and ESP ECU leaving the running EIS/ESL/ECU kit (got a spare key now!).

When it comes to drive authorisation - as it won't allow me to select gear - is it possible to program it with Autel MaxiSys or it has to be Star? It starts now, can force into gear using switch on the back of selector.

---- means that there are different mileage around the systems now (probably due to EIS).

Put the ESP and ZGW back to original ones, mileage still displaying wrong, still few faults, but now it will let me drive it - can select gears, will probably change the mileage using Autel to where it should be and will see if it will overwrite all the locations and update correctly. Will do eeprom backup prior, but it should work, fingers crossed. If I am not correct, please let me know. Beast is alive now, will still need to do leaking injectors, so far from finished, but will go at it next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom