2003 sl 500 engine noise at idle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike Amin

Car
2003 sl 500
Hello,

I am new to MBClub UK. I have had an 2003 SL 500 for the last 5 years which has now done 95000 miles. Engine runs and sounds sweet but I have recently noticed slightly louder engine noise in the cabin when idling. Engine sounds fine when driving. Local MB said I had worn engine and transmission mounts which I have had replaced but no improvement.
I dont have any warning lights/alerts and brakes, ABC etc all seem OK except for slight oil leak from front drivers side strut.
I would be grateful for any advice what to do next?

Hello and welcome.......I think you may have to let the fault develop for more certain diagnosis.

Mic

Can you describe the noise/sound you're hearing inside the cabin a bit more? How does it sound with the bonnet opened ?

Thanks

the engine sounds normal with the bonnet open and when revving but in the cabin at idle it almost sounds like a small hole in the exhaust/manifold although on the ramp there was no sign of an exhaust leak.

check for holes in rubber gaters on pass and drivers side, where steering column /cables /and anything else that exits through bulk head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom