2003 W163 ML270 as winter hack - thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
Hi folks,

Friend of a friend is disposing of a facelift ML270 CDI - of 2003 vintage. Has around 120 k on the clock and is in visually very good shape - gleaming paintwork, no visible rust, unmarked black leather and has the toys of interest eg heated seats. Asking price is £2695.

I've never owned a diesel and this car is also a manual which I would normally run a mile from as I love the MB silky smooth autos but I actually think a manual might suit this type of car.

The history is fairly minimal with a chunk of it having been lost but visually the car appears to have been well cared for. Can have a test drive in the next few days if I want to.

We're potentially moving somewhere a bit more rural so having a 4x4 is appealing for the winter and partly the new toy factor - I've only ever had saloons/coupes.

Would I be mad to consider a car like this that is getting on a bit? I recall a member (Pontoneer?) having lots of issues with the 270 engine in a C class. Any other experiences good or bad or things to look out for on the W163 when I test drive?

I love my W163 although it is a 320 petrol. It had a couple of electrical issues in the first couple of weeks but these were sorted quite cheaply by our local indie.
Since I have owned it, I have taken it to Germany twice and it is used locally most days. I currently have mobility problems and this is just so easy to get in and out and so easy to drive.
I am no lover of diesels or manual Mercedes and am prepared to live with the fuel consumption. I am presently looking for an ML 55 AMG.

I have no experience with the ML but the manual diesels I've driven haven't been great. They generally have a narrower rev band than petrol, so you're changing gear a lot as you accelerate.

We've owned two diesel automatics though, and they have been excellent.

No experience of the manual, but we had an auto ML270 of the same 2003 vintage for ten years, and it was a fantastic car. I wish we still had it. It was like a mountain goat in snow.

Seems quite positive so far then.

I'll drive it over a wide range of different road speeds and see how much gear changing is involved in normal use.

Just been looking through prior year MOT advisories online and the brake pipes got a mention in 2011 as having corrosion at the rear as seems to happen on many cars these days. In the absence of any paperwork would I be able to do a visual check on their condition by sticking my head underneath to establish if they have been renewed or just painted?

clk208 said:
Seems quite positive so far then. I'll drive it over a wide range of different road speeds and see how much gear changing is involved in normal use. Just been looking through prior year MOT advisories online and the brake pipes got a mention in 2011 as having corrosion at the rear as seems to happen on many cars these days. In the absence of any paperwork would I be able to do a visual check on their condition by sticking my head underneath to establish if they have been renewed or just painted?

I currently have a ML 500 and love this beast. I have no intention of getting rid of it. One thing to check for is rust in the rear. Take a look under the rear and have a good look . I have just winterised mine with sealer and waxoyl. To answer your question the the brake pipes can be seen on the chassis forward of the shock on both sides. The other thing is check the chassis at the back as they tend to rust at the rear.
Hope this helps.

I've a ML270 which is a great tool, drives great, tows well and doesn't get stuck anywhere. I would definitely recommend an auto over the manual though. The injectors and fuels line seals are things to check for in the service history. As with any 10yr+ car, just check for general rust and issues.

Hi, Just bought one and luv it, What I got told to look out for was black death, when injector seals have gone you get a black horrible mess all round the injectors and costly to repair, You can check for this by remove the plastic engine cover, only 4 screws and 5mns to do, you say its a friend so they may not mind you doing this before purchase.
Regards Edek.

All of the above tips are helpful, plus for winter, good tyres.
Check brake pipes, cooling system incl belt tensioner & pump.

Do these...
EGR shunt mod
Inlet manifold motor shunt mod

I have a very nice w163 ML 270 cdi I use as a workhorse.
Great car!
Gotta admit I've never seen a manual one!!!!!

Thanks folks for all the feedback. Missed out on this particular car due to not having time to view in the window of opportunity but may recommence a search for one in due course. Possibly the new year now.

They definitely seem like great value for what you get. Will post a write up if I do end up buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom