2003 W163 ML270 cd changer retrofit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkBeattie

Does my ML have the CD Changer Fibre Optic cable already installed ? I have been reading through the various articles already posted on this Forum, and I am not sure if it is pre-wired or not ? I have found the Power Connector in the back compartment, no problems there. But no sign of the orange Fibre Optic cable ??. Do I need to install one, or can someone help me to find it ?? If I need to install, any info on part numbers, where to buy (ebay ??) and how to route to the head unit is much appreciated. Once I have the CD Changer working, then I plan to replace the ""Audio 10 cd" with a Command, but thought I would do 1 change at a time. Many thanks, Mark.

im pretty sure that unless someone has previously removed the changer, you will need to get one from the dealer...

Is there a DVD HU available for an ML? If it was MP3 capable, the CD changer would be pretty useless (unless you want to listen to CD music while the DVD drive is reserved for the NAVI)?

Considering CD changers, aren't those widely available from eBay? I would buy the fiber optic cable from the dealer, to be sure it has not been bent or got broken otherwise.

Cable route

OK, so looks like I will have to put the Optical cable in myself. Anyone had experience of this ? What route should it take, any short cuts ?. All advice much appreciated.

hi it's quite easy really, start by finding where your nearest fibre point is, if you have no phone then you will need to run from the back of the hu down past the drivers legs into the sill and then back up to rear luggage compartment.

The cable is orange and you will need a joining block, you cant bend the cable more than a few degrees othwerise it will snap so be carfull. i am sure comebody here has proper instructions.

cheers

hash

hi it's quite easy really, start by finding where your nearest fibre point is, if you have no phone then you will need to run from the back of the hu down past the drivers legs into the sill and then back up to rear luggage compartment.

The cable is orange and you will need a joining block, you cant bend the cable more than a few degrees othwerise it will snap so be carfull. i am sure comebody here has proper instructions.

cheers

hash

You will also need to run the power and wakeup cables at the same time.

All finished & working

Just a big thanks for all the help & advice. Finally got around to fitting all the components into the W163 last weekend. All purchased from ebay (this forum was perfect for me to ensure I purchased all the correct part numbers). So I purchased the changer (US seller, paid 90 pounds), the boot bracket (UK seller, paid 15 pounds), fibre cable (German seller, 23 pounds). All works perfectly. Ebay is great if you know exactly what parts to buy.

The only bit I could not find was the clip that the Changer bracket should screw into so you can unsrew & swing the changer out to get access to the CD cartridge. So am just using a nut for now. Any ideas or part number ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom