2003 w211 e270 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyKO

Car
W211 E270 CDI
Hi everyone,

I'm new to here and like to say hello all! I have an '03 W211 E270 CDI.
Lovely motor but I need some advice please guys and gals.

I've just driven my car over 100 miles on motorway, great drive, but, a couple of mles away from home (up hill) the car started to 'shudder' slightly and loose power, almost like a misfire type of thing.

I eased off the power and acelerated again and all was OK.

Left the car about an hour and decided to take it up the road for a blast, this time the car wouldn't exceed 60 mph even with kick down, infact the car slowed to 30 mph up a sligh incline. :fail

I pulled over and switched the car off waited a few seconds and started it up again and it's back to it's normal beastly self??

Any ideas please guys?? I've googled it and read so much but I know this will be the place to ask.

Thanks in advance and apologies for a long winded post and if I have put it in the wrong place then admin please feel free to move it over to the right place.

Cheers guys, Andy

Hi Andy
What you experienced was "limp mode". Possible MAF sensor or inlet port motor, but you really need the fault codes read by an MB indy with STAR diagnosis.

What is your location so someone may be able to suggest somewhere nearby?

Last edited:
Hi Andy
What you experienced was "limp mode". Possible MAF sensor, but you really need the fault codes read by an MB indy with STAR diagnosis.

What is your location so someone may be able to suggest somewhere nearby?

Hi buddy,

Oh, OK, I didn't get any dash lights but anyhow I'm located in Carmarthenshire West Wales, would you suggest a clean out of the MAF sensor?

You can try spraying electrical cleaning spray (Maplins sell this) on the MAF but they don't usually respond well to cleaning. Another suspect is the inlet port motor shut off valve but it really needs correct diagnosis.
No idea about indies in your part of the country I'm afraid. Hopefully one of the Welsh members can help.

You can try spraying electrical cleaning spray (Maplins sell this) on the MAF but they don't usually respond well to cleaning. Another suspect is the inlet port motor shut off valve but it really needs correct diagnosis.
No idea about indies in your part of the country I'm afraid. Hopefully one of the Welsh members can help.

Cheers pal, I'll give that a try,can I use carb cleaner? I think the nearest Maplins more thanlikely a million mles away!(as is everything round here!)

Thanks again pal

I wouldn't spray carb cleaner on the MAF until its been diagnosed faulty.You might end up with a non working MAF that wasn't faulty to begin with.

To test the MAF, unplug it and see if the engine runs any worse. If it does, the MAF isn't faulty.

I wouldn't spray carb cleaner on the MAF until its been diagnosed faulty.You might end up with a non working MAF that wasn't faulty to begin with.

OK, thanks for the tip! :thumb:

My 270CDI did this as well. Turned out to be the MAF sensor. I had another symptom as well, if you tried to accelerate too hard whilst the engine was cold it would drop into limp home mode. Stopping and turning the engine on and off reset it, with no engine code being recorded. Changing the MAF sensor cured all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom