2003 W211 Indicator Stalk Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richteo

Car
W211 E320cdi 2003/ C218 CLS350cdi 2012
Hi, I'm the owner of a 2003 E320cdi with approx 122k miles on the clock.

I have an issue relating to the self-cancelling of the indicator stalk - basically it doesn't always cancel, or it will cause indication in the opposite direction. When steering there is also a clicking noise and mechanical resistance can be felt as if something is broken.

I have a new stalk on order and torx bits that will fit in the recesses to allow me to remove the air bag. Reading around the various Mercedes forums there are some cases where another part was the culprit (basically a plastic cam mounted to the column), which I think is shown on figure 10 on this excellent guide:

Pelican Technical Article - Mercedes-Benz W211 - Steering Column Switches Replacement

I've really struggled to find a part number for this item although some on american forums have managed to replace it. I'd really like to try and avoid having to the job twice.

I have access to Mercedes WIS and the EPC and I can't find mention of it anywhere. I quizzed the dealer's parts department who also couldn't find it and suggested it may be part of the clock spring or steering angle sensor, I don't think it can be. He did say it is usually the stalk itself that fails.

Does anyone have a number for this. I think I've found the equivalent part for older models (1404620751), does this also fit the W211?

Thanks,
Richard

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for replying, I think you have pointed me in the right direction.

On my car I'm pretty certain it can't be the steering angle sensor (A0025428018), but for 2004-on models you are correct: There was a change for the 2004 model year and WIS gives slightly different instructions for pre and post 2004 models.

For my early W211 I think is the clock spring (A0004640518), so I'll order a replacement. The pictures here seem to show a tab, but the steering angle sensor on the Pelican Parts guide is the early version so I'm still not 100% convinced.

When I pull it to pieces I'll take photos

Thanks for replying, I think you have pointed me in the right direction.

On my car I'm pretty certain it can't be the steering angle sensor (A0025428018), but for 2004-on models you are correct: There was a change for the 2004 model year and WIS gives slightly different instructions for pre and post 2004 models.

For my early W211 I think is the clock spring (A0004640518), so I'll order a replacement. The pictures here seem to show a tab, but the steering angle sensor on the Pelican Parts guide is the early version so I'm still not 100% convinced.

When I pull it to pieces I'll take photos

A0004640518 is exactly right part... :thumb:

Thanks. I'm still waiting on parts. No local dealers seemed to have any parts I needed in stock. I'm also waiting on a thermostat for my wife's car.

Pictures will follow for others benefit in future, either this weekend or next.

All fixed. The issue was the clock spring - the small tab had broken off. I decided to change both parts as I hate to do a job twice. There is no additional tab as shown on the pelican parts guide. The most difficult bit was pushing the new clock spring home; there are a number of long, fragile pins that need to be plugged in blind. The second most difficult part was threading the new wires through the steering wheel!

Tools required:
Long T30 torx bit to release air bag and the whole 'switch module' from the steering column.
Philips head screwdriver to remove old clock spring.
T10 screwdriver to attach new clock spring.
Small flat head screw driver to release air bag connections.
10mm hex bit (good quality) and ratchet extension piece.
I used a breaker bar to loosen the nut, counter-holding the wheel to avoid stressing the steering lock.
Torque wrench (80Nm with thread lock to attach steering wheel) note WIS says use a new screw but I believe this is only because it comes with thread lock on.

Clock spring removed:

Broken tab:

Everything removed:

New parts fitted:

My W211 has a very similar problem - if I am not forceful with the indicator it can stay indicating until I faff about indicating both ways to get it levelled again. Its hard to explain but I will end up indicating all over the place!

I also have an intermittent rattle from the steering column area which may be related.

Is the clock spring part the same part for cars with a steering angle sensor? Pretty confusing.

I ended up taking these parts off my W210 for a different problem and it all looks the same...

Last edited:
BTW Febi sell the clockspring, quite a big saving over genuine

Last edited:
I have an issue with steering column switch where one of the pin is broken and windscreen washer doesn't work. Any ideas?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom