2004 A160 Ignition Barrel Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisyP

Car
2004 A160 Elegance
Hi All
I am new to the site and I hope someone can help me.
I have recently bought a 2004 A160 elegance for my wife, it had a few issues but all are sorted now. When I bought the car it had a broken key blade in the ignition, the car has been starting ok but I now have a new blade and want to remove the broken blade from the barrel, so that when my wife starts to use the car the key is as should be. The car has not been on the road for nearly a year (spent 8 months in Mercedes waiting for a part!!!!), but now all is ready to go except the key. By coincidence I went to start the car today and can't get the steering lock off, I believe this could be part of the broken blade problem, but if it is just the lock is not releasing I'm hoping taking out the barrel should solve the problem. Has anyone taken out a barrel out and can give some advice on the removal? Thanks

As you will now know, the key must be turned to position 1 in order to remove the barrel , If you cant get the two halves of the broken key to turn the barrel to position 1 then you should try turning the key blade upside down (180⁰) and try again.

If you were able to turn the key before then you should be able to do it again.

Dec

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom