2004 C270 CDI Oil Leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barachello

Car
C270 cdi
Hi all

Bought my first ever MB a couple of weeks back, and am loving it so far.

Unfortunately I have found a slight oil leak, coming from in and around the air pipe that connects to the turbo (I think)

I took the air pipe off and cleaned all round it and under it, where the oil is running to, last night, and I can see fresh oil there today. I had hoped that the clip holding te pipe to the turbo had just been loose, but it appears not.

Not sure if you can make it out from the attached pic or not.

Any help or advice appreciated

thanks

Attachments

• 2013-06-17 21.23.01.jpg
    2013-06-17 21.23.01.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 100
Hi, there's a seal on the turbo/pipe they usually crack and no amount of tightening will stop it from sealing, check part number from Mercedes.

Its a <wide> orange/brown coloured seal that when replacing is mounted turbo side and the pipe clamped on to it, make sure you remove the old seal from inside the pipe as they usually get stuck there.

A concern is the amount of oil in the pipe, it could be the turbo or the oil separator leaking it into there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I have only had the car for 2 weeks, and it has covered 120k, so may have been like that for some time.

To confirm what you are saying , there is a seal that goes fom the air pipe to the turbo. I didn't notice one when I took the pipe off yesterday. Hopefully it is just caught up inside the pipe

Thanks for the reply.

I have only had the car for 2 weeks, and it has covered 120k, so may have been like that for some time.

To confirm what you are saying , there is a seal that goes from the air pipe to the turbo. I didn't notice one when I took the pipe off yesterday. Hopefully it is just caught up inside the pipe

As I said, you have to be careful not to put the pipe on with the seal inside it, you put the seal on the turbo side first to make sure >

a. it seals correctly
b. don't get dislodged and go into the turbo

Then tighten the clamp.

I would clean off the whole area too see where the oils coming from it may also be running down any pipework from the engine eg: oil feed pipe for the turbo !!

:)

Last edited:
Thanks very much for that, will have a look now

Ok, so am just back in after checking the pipe again.

Definitely no seal there ?

Looks like whoever was working on it before has not replaced it.

Where would be the best place to get the part number ?

Attachments

• 2013-06-18 21.11.31.jpg
    2013-06-18 21.11.31.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 2013-06-18 21.11.13.jpg
    2013-06-18 21.11.13.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 85
No need for part number. Just pop in your local dealer with your chassis number and they will look it up for you. Oil in that area is very very common.

No need for part number. Just pop in your local dealer with your chassis number and they will look it up for you. Oil in that area is very very common.

That makes me very happy to hear that lol

Last edited:
OK bit of an update

Rang MB Parts and they tell me there is no seal listed?

Would anyone have the part number i need ??????????

OK bit of an update

Rang MB Parts and they tell me there is no seal listed?

Would anyone have the part number i need ??????????

Get them to double check part number "612 094 00 51 Spacer ring" for your car.

It could be that one isn't fitted to the C270 only the E270 turbo's

In which case i apologize.....

Last edited:
Thanks for that, will try them again tomorrow.

Anyone else out there with a c270 that can confirm the existence of the seal or not ?

Hi
I have 2005 c270 I have no orange seal on turbo.
Also have a bit of oil there to had my car 18 months
had no problems with oil ?

I read a post froma another forum and it seems to suggest that MB are no longer producing the seal, and instead recommending a type of paste that is used as a sealant instead?

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/33129-help-w203-c270-dirt-oil-turbo-air-inlet-manifold.html

Hi Barachello, just seen the tread. I confirm that the new hose has been supplied me without the seal.

As you can read from that tread I put a red paste. Since that never had any further oil leakage.

Hope this help :)

Thanks for the update 1998K

is the red paste just a normal instant gasket type stuff or is there a proper name for it ?

A 612 094 00 51

I wouldnt use paste in that area to be honest.

Get them to double check part number "612 094 00 51 Spacer ring" for your car.

It could be that one isn't fitted to the C270 only the E270 turbo's

In which case i apologize.....

They are available seperately, you just need the right part number A612 094 00 51 and cost EUR1.49! Jubilee clip which holds it and the pipe in place is A 006 997 26 90 and cost EUR0.96!

Last edited:
Prices have changed a bit or are dearer in Belfast lol

Clip is £2.10
Seal is £2.85

Picking them up next week though

thanks

Prices have changed a bit or are dearer in Belfast lol

Clip is £2.10
Seal is £2.85

Picking them up next week though

thanks

The seals are trade £3.19 each to me including vat in London.

I used to buy 10 x seals @ £1.85 each, prices went up across the board, now I buy on demand and get Mercedes to deliver them.

Thanks for the update 1998K

is the red paste just a normal instant gasket type stuff or is there a proper name for it ?

Hello, glad to be of any help.

Situation is this:

as "E270 Owner" says someone do not suggest red paste, so when I let dealer to fix the problem, changing the leaking pipe with the new one (withour seal), the result was that oil leakage did not stop.
So I decided to put myslf this red paste since the leakage (any leakage;) ) annoy me. So I did and solved, paying attention to put few paste and waiting a lot of hours to start the engine.

about which kind of red paste sorry but I'm living abroad and even if I were at home it would be in Italy so the brand name would be different, for sure, to what you can find in your Country. By the way if you choose this way choose a paste (not necessary red) that resist mechanically to engine bay temperature, ask well to the seller and check the tech spec better if you find a brand name suggested by a mechanic.

hope this help your own decision

Marco

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom