2004 e220 cdi slipping into neutral

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anfieldassasin

Car
1988 300ce, E46 323ci, 1990 230ce C124 (sold), cl203 180k (other half)
Hi guys

My dad's 04 e220 cdi with about 48k miles has now twice slipped into neutral. It's the 5 speed automatic. Seems to do it randomly and can be resolved by turning car on and off, also if the box is switched to manual then it will go into gear and change gears fine. He says when this happens for a brief period after the transmission slips but then goes back to normal. No warning on dash also.

Wondered if you guys knew the type of. Gearbox that's on the car and if my thought so far are in the right direction:

Electrical connecter o rings gone so trans fluid leaking into electrical socket

Conductor plate/speed sensor gone

Or

The actual electrics in the gear lever mechanism have gone faulty?

He's in Harrow so will give him Wayne gates number as I can't get to him right now and he's just recovering from major surgery so can't get down and have a look himself at the moment either.

Advice appreciated,. Ta

What's the point in speculating? Just take it to Wayne Gates and Terry will soon sort it out.

No doubt he will, but wanted to consider diy and learn something along the way if dad can wait till next weekend.

I think you've covered the most common causes and my vote goes with a failing speed sensor. Had it happen to me, same symptoms.

That said when was the atf last changed, if ever? Level checked?

I dont think it has every been changed. There's no dipstick either!? I believe it's due at 60k but given the age of the car its due now.

He's only had it 5 months and didn't get any service history with it.

I'm going with the conductor plate (the speed sensors are in built as far as i am aware).

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom