2004 E55K estate, Tanzanite, good condition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
The E350 estate is fine, so the E55 estate has to go - before my licence does. You know if you want one...

OK, here's the blurb: E55 AMG Estate, 2004 (805 build), 142,000 miles, MoT to September 2017. Standard OE AMG 18" wheels. Besides the standard Avant Garde trim level toys, what does it have? Pretty much everything worthwhile except Distronic and Park Assist, I think: Keyless Entry/Go, Parktronic, COMAND, Harman Kardon audio, dynamic massage seats, sunroof, remote power tailgate, and the extendible load floor in the back. There are two keys and the full owners’ manuals pack.

Serviced at: 11375, 22277, 32637, c.42000, 56653, 65290, 75706, 87312, 99422, 105053, 116117, 133411 (9 MB, 2 Merctech Liverpool, 1 at Bolton Motor Works). Bills indicate new plugs at about 113K miles, and new supercharger oil at about 133k miles. I've drawn up a full service history sheet based on the bills and the service book.

There are five previous owners, the last from November 2012. It has been mine from mid-Sep 2015 @ 135,140 miles. The dealer put on new rear pads, discs & cheapo tyres (Wan Li – reportedly rubbish, but I’ve found them OK; obviously I don’t try hard enough!) for MoT.

136, 000 – Into Wayne Gates for a checkover. £2000 later (fixed cam cover oil leak, new front pads & discs, rear brake pipes and hoses, new brake fluid, new PAS pump, new engine mountings, full gearbox service) Terry was content that it was then up to scratch.

Last oil change 138,362 miles – Mobil 1, Mann filter – in June 2016. It has needed a litre top-up since then.

141,150 miles – Full suspension geometry check/adjustment from Wheels In Motion, Chesham. Two new front tyres (Goodyear F1 Asy 3).

Xmas 2016 - stonechipped bonnet, and slightly crusty rear wheel arches and a couple of blisters on the base of the tailgate sorted.

What’s wrong with it? The TPMS doesn’t work – possibly (!) because no wheel sensors are fitted… (there was only one when I bought it). There’s a bit of a whine from the engine; it’s not the supercharger, it’s not the pulleys, it’s not the power steering. Terry Gates’ advice is that these are not quiet engines, and prone to whining from the front end, and just to monitor it. I have; it’s got no worse, so I’ve lived with it. The steering wheel gearchange switches (gimmicky things…) played up, so I had them deactivated; the geartronic lever does the same job with just a touch, and at least it always falls readily to hand whatever the steering wheel position. The driver’s door Keyless Go does not work, but the other doors and the tailgate are fine. The fire extinguisher is there, but not the warning triangle. I’ve never looked for the first aid kit. USP? It’s still got the storage box behind the rear seats, believe it or not.

The previous owner had a detachable towbar fitted (still with the car), and evidently looked at the possibility of additional cooling, but none was fitted, nor any towing electrics, and he may have thought better of it when he found out the AMGs are not approved for towing, and therefore it would be illegal...

I'd like £8500, but that may be a bit optimistic at this time of year. If so, I'll keep it for a couple of months and try again.

Interested? PM me with an email address, and I'll send you the full service history and some pictures.

Sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom