2004 GTG and road run update - April 3rd (North)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kikkthecat

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 Viano 2.2 CDi Ambiente
2004 GTG and road run update

As promised, an update on what is planned for April 3rd.

First the basics.

Meet at Charnock Richard services northbound on the M6 (between Jct27 and Jct28) to set off at 11-00am
A road run from there up to Jct31 and then via the A59 and A65 to Harry Ramsdens at Guisesley which should take approx 1 hour 20 mins.
Lunch is to be arranged for 12-30 to 13-30, see details below.
From Harry Ramsdens we then continue via the A65, the A658 and A59 onto the York ring road. On meeting the York ring road, turn left and then first right into the Business park to the Millfield pub and Travel Inn. This should take approx 50 mins.
It’s a flexible day out and you can do it all or join in at any stage.

Arrangements you need to make.

1. If joining us at Charnock Richard, please be there ready to set off at 11-00am. There is a Travel Lodge on the services if you feel the need to travel the night before and stay over.
2. If joining us at Harry Ramsdens for lunch please be there for 12-30 and you need to contact me for lunch arrangements as below.
3. If joining us at The Millfield we expect to be there by 14-30.
4. If you intend to stay at the attached Travel Inn overnight you can book your room here.
http://www.travelinn.co.uk/TI/index.jsp?page=inn&id=229
You can of course book any one of the many hotels in York if you prefer.

I am currently negotiating with the manager of the Millfield to have an area cordoned off for our exclusive use for evening meals He is willing if we could order from the menu a week in advance and everyone eats at the same time. I am resisting this as I want the flexibility for everyone to be able to choose when to eat. Even without a fixed meal time I believe it is possible for the conservatory to be set aside for our exclusive use depending on numbers, so the sooner I get these the better.

Arrangements I need to make.

Harry Ramsdens is probably the busiest fish restaurant in the world, and on Saturday lunchtime queues can be quiet long, waiting times of 45 mins for a table are not unheard of.
However if we pre order for a party of 20 or more they will set aside a fixed number of tables so no waiting will be involved. We would also get a discount of approx 15% on the regular menu prices. However for parties they set 2 conditions.
All the party must order the same set menu, choice of one, two, or three courses, all consisting of fish, chips, peas, bread and butter, tea/coffee or soft drink,with menu 2 and 3 being the option of starter and sweet. They will not mix menus in a party booking.
The party organiser must settle the payment as one bill.

So if there are enough for lunch, I will pay a deposit to reserve tables, settle the bill, then trust everyone to reimburse me. I don’t have a problem with this as I haven’t seen many scallywags using the forum. I really dont want to have to send the winner of the Kinky v Pammy slugfest round to enforce the debt anyway.
The cost for the one course set meal is £6.99 (£8.05 on the normal menu) and is the option I would chose. The latest I can make these arrangements is March 3rd but would prefer earlier.
There are 2 children’s menus, one for under 12’s (£3.99) and one for under 8’s (£2.99) and can be ordered on the day (although they would still go on my bill)
Anyone wishing to pre order meals please contact me by pm with numbers and I will accept payment (cash or cheque) on the day.

I am currently preparing a word document with route details, contact phone numbers, details of venues etc and will e-mail this at least a month before the day to anyone who wants one.

Good on yer M8, Book me for the whole 9 yards and the round one too. :bannana:

wow Ray - great itinerary - I'll be in touch on what I'm doing. Thanks for all that work - ain;t an easy job:rock:

Good job Ray - I'd love to do this, but might be in Oz that weekend. If not, we'll defo be joining in :cool: .

Cheers
Andrew

Flyer said:
Good job Ray - I'd love to do this, but might be in Oz that weekend. If not, we'll defo be joining in :cool: .

Cheers
Andrew
Reminds me of last year, I was in Oz (NSW) when the March 03 GTG took place. Unfortunately I was in Oz for business and not a holiday though. :(

I'm still undecided whether I can make this or not, I'll let you know for sure before the end of Feb if that's okay with you Ray.

Well done for organising this event. This place wouldn't be half as good as it is without people like yourself who are willing to make the effort to organise us rabble into social events :D Kudos mate!

S.

Last edited:
Ray

Looks as if I am OK for that date even though my son Mark, who will come with me, has a birthday that day.

We will join at Services on M6 and Lunch, go to York but will not be staying overnight. So that's two more for lunch mate.

Unless the Bird Flu creates travel chaos, I'll be in Asia somewhere for work. :-(

Can I just add a couple of bits -

The final stop - the Millfield, that last part of the journey is likely to be a nightmare. It's just before a major retail park which gets horrendous on a Saturday. The Millfield is just before it, but the ring road gets very backed up. You just need to be aware.(just watch - it'll be as quiet as anything this time;) )

For those looking for somewhere to stay, another nice hotel is half a mile from me on the outskirts of Harrogate called The Kestrel. Has beautiful rooms a nice country pub £55 per night.

http://www.innkeeperslodge.com/lodgedetail_localinfo.asp?lodgeID=21

pammy said:
For those looking for somewhere to stay, another nice hotel is half a mile from me on the outskirts of Harrogate called The Kestrel. Has beautiful rooms a nice country pub £55 per night.

http://www.innkeeperslodge.com/lodgedetail_localinfo.asp?lodgeID=21

I thought everyone was going to kip round at your gaff :p I'm sure your folks wouldn't mind :D

S.

Steve_Perry said:
I thought everyone was going to kip round at your gaff :p I'm sure your folks wouldn't mind :D

S.
My folk's wouldn't give a monkey's seeing as they live 40 miles away:D

Ray
Me and my wife would like to join the party at Harry Ramsdens and will be coming across from N.E.Lincolnshire and await further details, can send a deposit if required.
sid

About time we had a list of Attendees.

Name-------------M6---Harry Ramsdens Dinner---York Meal---York O/N

Brian WH +1---------Yes-----------Yes---------------No----------No
kikkthecat----------Yes-----------Yes--------------Yes
Ian B Walker
lotusmark 2
pammy
Sidney Plowman-----No------------Yes
Shude
GrahamC230K
craigyb
Kinky
Mercedes Lady
Simonl
Fuzzer

Please Add / Delete your name and ADD DETAILS etc. Then RePost.

Last edited:
Brian WH said:

Ian B Walker
lotusmark 2---------Yes-----------Yes--------------No------------No
pammy
Shude
GrahamC230K
craigyb
Kinky
Mercedes Lady
Simonl
Fuzzer

Please Add / Delete your name and ADD DETAILS etc. Then RePost.[/SIZE]

mmmmmm - not sure I should tell you, ought to keep it a surprise:D

Originally Posted by Brian WH

Ian B Walker
pammy--------------No----------Yes----------------Yes
Shude
GrahamC230K
craigyb
Kinky
Mercedes Lady
Simonl
Fuzzer

Please Add / Delete your name and ADD DETAILS etc. Then RePost.[/SIZE]

Ian B Walker
Shude--------------Yes-----------Yes--------------Yes-----------No
GrahamC230K
craigyb
Kinky
Mercedes Lady
Simonl
Fuzzer

Ian B Walker
Shude--------------Yes-----------Yes--------------Yes-----------No
GrahamC230K
craigyb
Kinky
Mercedes Lady
Simonl
Fuzzer--------------ish------------yes---------------yes---------no

Please Add / Delete your name and ADD DETAILS etc. Then RePost.[/SIZE][/i]

ish means ill be joining you at Jct31 :) Will that be possible ?

ohh , and can we have addresses of the harry ramsdens for the nav :)

thanks
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Name-------------M6-----Harry Ramsdens Dinner---York Meal---York O/N

Brian WH +1---------Yes------------Yes---------------No----------No
kikkthecat +1--------Yes-----------Yes--------------Yes
Ian B Walker +1------Yes-----------Yes---------------Yes
lotusmark 2---------Yes------------Yes---------------No----------No
pammy--------------No-------------Yes--------------Yes
Sidney Plowman-----No-------------Yes
Shude--------------Yes------------Yes--------------Yes-----------No
GrahamC230K
craigyb
Kinky
Mercedes Lady
Simonl
Fuzzer--------------ish------------yes---------------yes---------no

And for those with sat nav,
Harry Ramsden's
White Cross
Guiseley
Leeds
LS20 8LZ

Just checked the route - do you know - you go within a mile of my front door!!!!:D

Will check on numbers for me n mine:D n let you know asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom