2004 SL55 immaculate on 29k miles....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And if someone was to sell a £10 note for the equivalent of £5, it doesn’t make all £10 notes worth £5 either :)

But more to the point, an SL55 has no face value. They were £100k cars new, not being made anymore and people pay what they feel they are worth (and what a seller agrees to sell at). The values reflect the demand for individual cars. This particular car’s value was £29k (plus any fees is applicable)
The price was £29k, the value wasn't. Of course if Historics buyers premium (10% plus VAT?) was not included in the price quoted then the lucky buyer paid over £32k.

Last edited:
I think you two need to agree to disagree on your opinions and move on. I'm bored.

It really doesn't matter who gets the last word......just let it go.....palease [emoji120]

I'm bored too, but I have too much time on my hands....:D

The interesting part of this conversation is that the whether 12k or 32k, the repair costs will continue to be that of a 120k car. I have a silver shadow tying up my lift right now while I figure out the braking issue. Value right now? Probably $5000, cost to fix the brakes if I sent the work out? Probably $20,000. Whether a 12k or 32k car, the truth is that many people would be able to afford to fix it if it broke. I certainly couldn't if I was paying someone else to do it.

I say again: "I regard what a car, or indeed anything else, is worth as its market value". That car sold for what was clearly more than its market value. The scores of unsold cars support that conclusion. What the buyer paid - £32K - does not change that conclusion.

(Unless, of course, the market value of the other high-priced cars moves upwards, and they now start selling. I'm not holding my breath...)
The trouble is though that ‘market value’ you keep referring to is a theoretical value that is at best based upon a very small sample of cars, of varying quality, specification, mileage and provenance etc. Oh and what a few, non-SL55 owning members on here think a car should be worth (of which you said sub-£12k you don’t look at anyway?) :D

There’s only ever a few dozen SL55s on the market at any time, and you even said yourself that plenty of overpriced stuff isn’t selling, and what does sell (as opposed to being withdrawn from sale) you’ll never really know what it sold for anyway.

The only real test of market value is to sell a car, and that market value of this car was...£29k (plus whatever fees, potentially £32k as you’ve said)

So this obviously was a special car or had particular appeal, or the market is maybe stronger than you perhaps realise. But there you have it’s value. Dispute that if you wish, that’s what it sold for, it’s value on the open market.

The thread may be going around in circles, but none of those facts have changed :)

It’s refreshing for a thread to allow people to express a difference of opinion though, whilst still being civil and respectful to each other. I’m sure Dennis would agree, there’s no hard feelings at all :)

I'm bored too, but I have too much time on my hands....:D
LOL...that made me giggle! I wish I had your time.....can I buy some??

It’s refreshing for a thread to allow people to express a difference of opinion though, whilst still being civil and respectful to each other. I’m sure Dennis would agree, there’s no hard feelings at all :)

No, of course not. The boys will still be round next weekend for a little chat, though.

LOL...that made me giggle! I wish I had your time.....can I buy some??

I was in the office, and it was as dead as a very dead thing. There's only so much surfing one can do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom