2004 to 2006 C Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DeanoVIP

Car
C class
Hi all, I'm after some pearly wisdom. Im looking to buy a cheap C class eitger a C240 or C320, i prefer petrol jusr feel they are more reliable but correct me if im wrong.

Someone mentioned this era of mercs i should avoid like the plague. I've had a Lexus IS250 before and the car was bullet proof, hoping this might fair well. Also whats thr difference between facelift and non facelift? Any reliability concerns? Whats the auto boxes like?

You are looking at a 15 year old car so i would apply the usual car buying checks, starting with the MoT history check

Always good to see evidence of regular maintenance, such as oil changes...

You might want to research the issues on the 6 cylinder engines - can't find the link at the moment but I am sure someone will provide more details

Be aware the audio / Command system will be very outdated but can be replace with aftermarket units depending in what features you require.

I had a 2006 W203 for 9 years. But not a V6 petrol, so I can't comment on the engine.

Only 'common' issue that I can think of was the pilot bush (electrical connector) on the 5g automatic transmission, which tends to develop a leak which requires replacing it, along with the ATF in the sump.

The diff at the rear can develop 'sweating' from the drive shafts, it does not require urgent attention (the amount of oil lost is minimal and the diff is not very sensitive to the oil level anyway), but it will need to be fixed at some point, and replacing both drive shafts seals is quite labour-intensive so will be costly (unless done DIY).

For some inexplicable reason, most if not all MB engines seem to suffer from premature thermostat failure, so I would check that (the engine should reach 80 degrees within the first 10 minutes of a test drive, and stay above 80 for the duration). The cost of replacing the thermostat can vary greatly from one engine type to another (as an example, it was around £100 for my M271, but around £800 for my M274... dealer prices).

Rear dampers tend to do, but it's normal as they are consumables. Springs can break. So the suspension needs checking.

Post-2003 cars are galvanized, so they rust less, but this is not to say that they don't rust at all.

As greenmanslk pointed-out, the basic Audio20 is very... well, basic, and the optional COMAND NTG2 satnav is outdated. Also, all facelift W203 have the phone button on the steering wheel, but it's meaningless and you won't have Bluetooth telephony unless the Convenience Telephony option is installed. It sits under the centre armrest - if you lift the armrest, you will see a shallow storage tray - if you can lift the shallow storage tray and there's a deep empty cavity under it, then the car does not have the Convenience Telephony option installed and won't have hands-free telephone support. If, on the other hand, you can't lift the shallow storage tray, then the car will have the Convenience Telephony option. Either way, the outdated Audio20 or COMAND units can be replaced with a modern Android-based system that will also have Bluetooth telephony, if that's of interest.

Also whats thr difference between facelift and non facelift?

Facelift was mid 2004 so likely to be later 2004 before they appeared on the road. There's not much visual difference but supposedly a lot changed 'under the skin'.

Had mine since it was a few months old and I have to say it feels an old car now. Nothing unusual for its age but generally rusty underneath, especially rear subframe, and brake pipes.

I have owned many Lexus/Toyota and MB cars over the years. Generally the MBs have been reliable cars; covered hundreds of thousands of miles in them. But the Lexus/Toyota cars are in a different league of reliability; I can not think of anything that has been needed on any of them. If you are expecting the same reliability from a C class to an IS Lexus then you will be disappointed.

H
I have owned many Lexus/Toyota and MB cars over the years. Generally the MBs have been reliable cars; covered hundreds of thousands of miles in them. But the Lexus/Toyota cars are in a different league of reliability; I can not think of anything that has been needed on any of them. If you are expecting the same reliability from a C class to an IS Lexus then you will be disappointed.

Having just scrapped the Toyota Previa that we bought new in 1997.... I have to concur. It never had a fault and had no rust either. Sadly scrapped due to the high cost of keeping it (insurance/tax etc).

One of the Toyotas owned was a Previa - a 2.4 litre petrol 2004 model. Very useful car but not as nice to drive as the Merc. Actually there was one fault with the radio/CD/satnav on that car - the CD reader got a speck of dust on it - disabled the satnav but also disabled the radio and the reverse camera. One thing I did find is that there are no resources on line for faults - I assume because there are so few.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom