2004 Viano comand replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Modelmakerman

Car
2004 W639 Viano Long 2.2CDi
I recently bought a 2004 (54) Viano with the plan to turn it into a day van/camper.

It has command 2.0 and had a Bluetooth upgrade for the phone at some point (which I can't get to work as it wants a pin to pair). I'd like to upgrade to something a little more up to date; ideally with Android auto and Dab so looking at Alpine and Kenwood units at the moment.

My questions are:

What will I loose if I swap out the command unit?

Will the multifunction steering wheel and dash display still work and can they be made to work with the aftermarket head unit?

How difficult is the swap likely to be?

Any other options worth considering?

Thanks

I recently bought a 2004 (54) Viano with the plan to turn it into a day van/camper.

It has command 2.0 and had a Bluetooth upgrade for the phone at some point (which I can't get to work as it wants a pin to pair). I'd like to upgrade to something a little more up to date; ideally with Android auto and Dab so looking at Alpine and Kenwood units at the moment.

My questions are:

What will I loose if I swap out the command unit?

Will the multifunction steering wheel and dash display still work and can they be made to work with the aftermarket head unit?

How difficult is the swap likely to be?

Any other options worth considering?

Thanks

The swap is relatively easy. You will need a steering wheel control interface to retain some use of the steering wheel controls. The cluster wont do much though except display 'Alpine' or Kenwood.

So I've replaced the comand unit a Kenwood DMX7017DABS using the connects2 CTSMC003.2 interface and CTKENWOODLEAD2 patch lead but only one steering wheel button has an effect on the kenwood; the call end button Scrolls through radio functions (DAB, FM, Bluetooth etc). The others (volume up/down, track skip fwd/back, call) have no effect.

Everything else works correctly so the radio seems to be wired correctly. Although there is a fiber optic connector unused from the command unit. Also I couldn't find where the vehicle speed pulse wire is to splice into so that is not connecter currently but I doubt that would effect steering wheel controls?

Just got a reply back from Connects2:

"Unfortunately the CTSMC003.2 is only compatible with vehicles where the original radio was an Audio 10, it is not compatible with vehicles with the Command radio system as the Command system differs from the standard Audio 10 radio..
We do not have an interface for the Viano where the original radio is a Command radio."

Anyone know of an interface that works with Command and or how to wire it without one?

Im guessing it has something to do with the Fibre Optics which I gather is a MOST Amplifier? I don't really understand how it works though as the new radio works fine without it and I don't see how that would effect steering wheel controls?

The fibre optic on our Viano connects the CD changer, phone and others I think. When the changer stopped working with a complete cassette of cds I took the changer out. Everything stopped working. Electronics are definitely not my strong point but I would guess if your cable is not connected to anything then it could have a knock on effect.

The bad news is that you may have to rewire the sound system and possibly use a 4 or 6 channel crossover to power it all properly. Have a look on the speaker top and tell us if it says Harman Kardon on it..

My C Class is the same. It came with a command unit that the previous owner had replaced with an Audio 20 that has now gone faulty... so I opted for an Alpine Touchscreen unit as I had needs like you too (Bluetooth, Ipod, Sat Nav) and because of this the fitter had to rewire the whole system as there are no available interfaces for Alpine to Mercedes - we spent days trying to find one but was eventually advised by both Mercedes & Alpine that there was none.

P.S Photos of you Viano Please??

The Kenwood is working fine (and sounds a lot better that the Command did) its just the steering controls which don't work; the screen just shows --- for Audio and Phone now and only the hang up phone button does anything on the Kenwood (scrolls through functions/modes).

The speakers are 2-way component (tweeter and driver) but Ive not seen Harman Kardon anywhere on them.

Ill get some pictures up soon but its still very much work in (very slow) progress atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom