2004 w211 E55 airmatic problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e55

Car
W211 E55
Hi all,

Haven’t posted here for a while now.

Have had the car for nearly 10 years now with virtually no issues.
However, in last few months have had intermitant issues with the airmatic and the technician can’t seem to work out what is wrong.

One morning I woke up to find the car had lowered and all 4 wheels where stuck in the arches.
There was a warning to visit the workshop and not to drive the car as it was too low.
It was towed to a Mercedes independent and connected to STAR. The warning codes were all cleared and the car resumed normal service. It was determined that there is nothing wrong with airmatic pump.

A few weeks later the same problem occured again. The ESP module was replaced and the ESP fuse in the main fuse box on the driver side engine was also replaced. I was told the front and rear sensors for ride height were also checked and all codes cleared again. It was fine for about 10 days.

Yesterday the car had dropped again. (I park my car on a slopping driveway) All four wheels had dropped and I could not drive it. This morning I moved it to the road where it was flat and tried all the different settings and the car raised itself to the highest level so I just left it there for the day. In the evening I decided to park the car back into the garage and now it’s stuck again at the highest level and will not lower to airmatic sport 1 ,2 or comfort.

Anyone else had these issues? Any experts able to advise? I am based in Sydney Australia and used to take my car to Ollie at PCS in Horndean.

Sounds like an air leak but you mentioned later it was stuck at the high position :wallbash:

From the stuck high position, will the corners drop after a few days?

When all four corners have gone down, it often means that there is a leak in the valve block or the valve block is faulty. At least the pump is pumping it back up again, although after your 10 years of ownership, as I did with mine, I would suggest at some point you replace the piston seal in the pump. It is an easy job and the parts are available off of Ebay, and gives the pump a new lease of life.
If the ride height is stuck at the maximum, then I would try pulling the fuse or pulling a pipe off, perhaps off of a front strut, as they are the easiest to access. Other than that, I would get it in the air and get the valve block tested / replaced as this seems the most likely culprit. At least when it is in the air you can listen for leaks or test with some soapy water on the joints.

Steve.

Reactions: e55
Sounds like an air leak but you mentioned later it was stuck at the high position :wallbash:

From the stuck high position, will the corners drop after a few days?
Not sure this is the first time it’s happened. Checked car today and it’s still in the high position.

Hi mate long time no see!

agree with toolman, valveblock may be sticking or leaking

Hi Alps! Hope you been well......good to see you have upgraded to the w212.... Cars here in Sydney are so expensive I will have to wait a few more years to be able to afford one.

I decided to take the car out for a drive tonight at it’s raised height and as I drive it the suspension dropped back to its normal level. Will see what happens tomorrow morning but will be taking it to the garage to check the valve block once the6 are back open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom