2005/55 ML500 - what are they like to live with?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nat

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS55, 911t, 3dr Cosworth, MT 10.
I'm going to have a look at new'ish shape (Can't remember the model number) ML500 on a 55 plate tomorrow for the wife. It's the cheaper tax one and not the £500+ version.

It'll only be doing maybe 4/5/6k miles a year. I did think of the 350 but remembered they had some engine problems? While the V8 didn't really have that many problems apart from feeding it fuel.

Are these air suspension?

The spec is pretty good for what we need it for.

Apart from the usual checking of tyres, electrics, etc is there anything that'll need to be looked at before I buy it. It's hpi clear and the mot history looks good. Service records were initially Merc then Indie with the last one been Merc who were happy to talk to me earlier on and say the car was fine.

I'm going to have a look at new'ish shape (Can't remember the model number) ML500 on a 55 plate tomorrow for the wife. It's the cheaper tax one and not the £500+ version.

It'll only be doing maybe 4/5/6k miles a year. I did think of the 350 but remembered they had some engine problems? While the V8 didn't really have that many problems apart from feeding it fuel.

Are these air suspension?

The spec is pretty good for what we need it for.

Apart from the usual checking of tyres, electrics, etc is there anything that'll need to be looked at before I buy it. It's hpi clear and the mot history looks good. Service records were initially Merc then Indie with the last one been Merc who were happy to talk to me earlier on and say the car was fine.
Good choice! I assume it’s an early W164 ML? Air suspension isn’t a common feature as it was an option on the vast majority of cars, but you’re more likely to find it on the V8 models.

The V8 in the ML500 is big, unstressed, and used for many years, and so it has a relatively good reputation for reliability and longevity, and well suited to the car.

MLs are great, and V8 MLs are even great-er :)

Cheers Bobby, much appreciated, I'll probably end up owning it providing it's a nice one.

Has anyone mentioned rust yet? :D[/QUOTE]

Dont think ive seen a w164 rust before? Rear SAM's can go though

I've viewed a few early ML's. On virtually all of them just inside the doors under paint corrosion, some very slight to a 2007 model that was horrendous.

Also knowing what I know now I would be removing the two back panels in the boot area, and looking for any signs of leaking.

Thanks for your replies.

Is there anyway of getting the spec sheet from the reg number?

Managed to get the spec list now. It has airmatic.

Collected it this morning.

Lovely car to drive. The spec is pretty good too. Full service history with the last one been done 2k miles ago. What a lot of car for not a lot of money.

:ttiuwp

I've not had the experience to know how true it is but i was told that an ML55 was probably the most reliable AMG yet built, so long as it doesn't come with air suspension. I may yet purchase one if we get any snow and my bank card ever recovers from buying the E55. :D

Reactions: Nat
I've not had the experience to know how true it is but i was told that an ML55 was probably the most reliable AMG yet built, so long as it doesn't come with air suspension. I may yet purchase one if we get any snow and my bank card ever recovers from buying the E55. :D

I did think of an ML55, but the next model up (164?) looks so much more modern and besides the 5.0 lump isn't a bad thing with the 7g box.

Airmatic? only got to fix it once, in theory .....

I recently sold my last ML which was derv and that was a 2015 MY and while it had some useful gadgets and pretty good on fuel, I found it souless and gutless. If however an ML55 does come up I'll buy it for me, as the 500 is for the wife as she hates the Cayenne.

One thing I've noticed is that the parking sensors have stopped working.

Airmatic? only got to fix it once, in theory .....

Air suspension rarely fails all at once though, bits go wrong individually and no matter how useful it is, personally i never found steel sprung suspension to be so bad that the added complexity of airbags was worthwhile. I know they have advantages, in my case I just never found them to be worth the hassle on the older cars that I can afford.

If i was buying new and only keeping for a couple of years then might be different, the self levelling hydraulic suspension on the rear of my E55 was rebuilt at around 190,000 miles a couple of years before I bought the car (the bill came to more money than i paid for the whole car though.....).

Reactions: Nat
Fair comment mate and at 190k I'd be happy too :cool:

Even if it need some attention sorting out and the worst case scenario was just that, I'd still be happy with it.

One thing I do need though. Is either someone close to where I am to plug it in to see what/if/any faults are. Any volunteers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom